CHAPTER-3 AKSHITA

I couldn't stop myself from stealing glances at Abhishek whose eyes were just fixed on me. I had never felt so self-aware in my entire life. His hands were tucked to his side. His eyes were glimmering as he and Trisha joked around with Nalini. My sister Nalini was the sweetest yet the coldest woman I knew. Always talking about things that actually mattered, always trying so hard on everything she did, even at maintaining a healthy relationship with Shekhawats. If not for her, maybe I would have been forced to do her duties instead. And I would fail with everything I held in my heart.

I never told her anything, nor how father died neither how we shifted into this treaty. She didn't know it was just a bargain for my father's life. How cruel of me to lie to my own sister, my very own best friend. Abhishek was right. It was all a game of lies. But I did not begin it; I wouldn't have played if I had a choice. I swallowed away the grief starting to show up in my heart.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when Kabir patted my head. "Feeling left out?" he asked and I simply shook my head. And there was Kabir, her husband, Abhishek's older brother. I clearly remembered my mother's words. 'They hate your dad Akshita, both the brothers. Don't ever let them know who you are.' I smiled despite the sweat staring to cover my hands. But she wasn't right, not about Kabir at-least. He was a good man, a good brother, even a good husband from what Nalini told me.

"How are you now? Still strict?" I asked him. He had been a boss to me for over a year when I took internship after completing my job. He nodded. "Fortunate for my employees, they are having a good time now that I am here in India, busy with this new marriage." And I noticed how his eyes pinned Nalini. He watched her carefully before he looked back at me.

"Did you two argue?" I asked and he shot me a frown. "Yes."

I shook my head. "No wonder she cried so abruptly."

Kabir pressed his lips together. "What do I do now?" He asked.

"As long as you get her to talk, she would give in." I shrugged.

"I love a sister-in-law who gives her own sister away." He smiled at me.

"You better be a good brother-in-law to me too." I smirked. And then I was pulled to a side by Nalini. "Can we sleep now?" she asked, staring at us. Us meant me, Trisha and Abhishek.

I nodded and Abhishek added a mutter that we all heard. "I don't think you both were sleeping." "Yes, we were having an argument." Kabir crossed his arms over his chest.
"Of lips I suppose." Abhishek smirked.
Kabir inhaled a tight breath in response. "Leave, I don't want to begin one of fists with you."

Trisha and I shared a look with Nalini who was simply holding onto Kabir's sleeve; he had put his hand on the small of her back. I knew Abhishek was doing it on purpose, the smile spread over his lips said it all.
"Alright, good night." And he headed to the door. Trisha picked up the cake we'd cut and I simply followed them outside waving at the couple while closing the door behind.

I turned around to find Abhishek leaning against the wall. He looked at me and I averted my eyes instantly. I tried finding Trisha but she had as if disappeared into thin air. He snapped his finger in front of my face. "Your room is the last one on the left." And with that he was walking away. What an awkward mess I was and what an asshole he was.
I really needed to get myself together. Abhishek wasn't going be less than a jerk anyway; I too could enjoy getting on his nerves as much. I curled my fists behind my back. "Fuck YOU."

I hadn't felt this rage for him, not after we were starting to like each other. It reminded me of the first time I met him, he was the same distant Abhishek he was acting like with me.

"Akshita?" A shrill voice reached me; it made me cock my head back over my shoulder. I saw a very familiar face; it was embedded in my head. How could I forget her? Her familiar brown hair, her eyes glowing but dark just like her mother's. She must be at least a couple inches taller than me. I wasn't exactly happy to see her there. My mother's dreading warnings echoed in my brain. I was not supposed to get involved with them, especially her older brothers.