Arrival in Bangor

Dominic

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. On behalf of Althea Airlines, it is my pleasure to welcome you to Bangor, Maine. The local Time is 8:15 a.m. Be careful on the roads; there has recently been heavy rain. For your safety, please remain seated with your seatbelts fastened and keep the aisles clear until we are parked at the gate," says a cheerful flight attendant over the intercom.

I began to shift in my seat, palms starting to sweat. I rub my hands down my jeans. I watched as the flight attendant started to make her way down the aisle, collecting trash from a passenger behind me. She stopped before me and tried to smile seductively. If I hadn't been so anxious, I might have given her the time of day, but I wasn't.  I was scared as hell, excited, but very scared. I averted my gaze toward the window, hoping she would get the message.

I feel the plane finally stop at the gate. The flight attendant made her way to open the door, and it didn't go unnoticed the way she tried to sway her hips to get my attention. I unbuckled my seatbelt and stood up to grab my bag. I started to make my way towards the exit, ignoring her as she tried to reach out and touch my shoulder.

I started following the signs to pick up the rest of my luggage.

I don't know why, but I had always feared that my mom and brother wouldn't want to see me again. They were too happy and had forgotten about me. And that if one day I showed up unannounced, like today, then they would demand that I leave.

On the other hand, I had envisioned them welcoming me with open arms. And somehow, it would be like they had never left. These two thoughts created a war in my mind, and today, I would finally know which side won.

I made my way to pick up my rental. I had an hour-and-a-half drive to conquer before I would reach Greenville. Once I got into my car, I immediately put the address into the map's search bar. I had it memorized. All the time I stared at it, I knew I had it ingrained in my memory.

I pulled out of Bangor International Airport and made my way home.

-

My car came to a stop as I pulled up in the driveway. I noticed that there were no cars in sight. I hope that someone is still home. I parked my car and made my way to their front door. I knocked, and no one answered. I knocked again, but there was still no answer.

I began to try to peek through their window, but I was interrupted by someone clearing their throat. I turned around to see a man in a grey suit who appeared to be in his late thirties.

"Hello, can I help you? Are you interested in this property," he questioned as he flashed a smile.

"Umm, no, I was looking for someone. I must have the wrong house," I replied as I began to walk down the steps. I started searching for my wallet. Maybe I didn't have the address memorized like I had thought. Before I reached my car, I pulled out the picture and flipped it over.

I had the correct address. I turned around and approached the guy, who I assume is a real estate agent. He tried his best to fix the for sale sign that had fallen behind the bushes. I presume this is because of the heavy rain that they had recently experienced.

"Excuse me, do you know where I could find the previous owner?" I asked as the sign fell again, and he looked defeated.

"Oh, Louise Sullivan," he replied.

"Yes, Louise." That was the name that she had started to go by. I had to pay a lot of money to have them investigated because my mother and brother had changed their names. It was smart, but it would have been better if they moved to a different country. I didn't like how easy it was to find them. It didn't sit well with me.

"Oh, Ms. Sullivan moved about five months ago," he said, still struggling to push the sign in the mud.

Sh*t, why didn't I have someone check into that earlier? I assumed they would still be here after all these years because when I had them investigated last, I noticed they had lived here for a long time.

"Do you know why?" I asked as my brows furrowed.

"No, no, I do not," he stated as he tried to push the sign back in the mud.

"Do you have any buyers?"

"I did, but it fell through. The housing market has been horrible. Nobody has the money to buy a house. But I am just trying to get it sold. I need to make money and feed my family," he stated.

I needed a place to stay. I had a hotel room. But I need a permanent place due to the lectures approaching at a nearby community college. "At what price, and do you accept all cash offers?"

I will stay here until I can get my people to find them again while I finish my studies.

"About four hundred thousand. And yes, I do! All I need is proof of funds, and then we can proceed with a purchase. Here is my card," he beamed. He tried wiping as much mud from his hands onto his pants and pulled a card from his wallet.

I took the card from his soiled hands and approached my car. I opened my car door and said, "I will have proof of funds for you by tomorrow morning." I proceeded to get in my car, and then I sped off.

As I approached the hotel I had booked, I pulled out my phone and began to call one of my most trusted men.

"Yes, sir. What can I do for you?"

"I need you to find some information for me, and I need it fast," I said seriously.

---------