[31] 三十一

Oyabun left for business before Ryuzo could return from Nagoya, allowing me to stay in the mansion. Alone. No guards, no Yakuza hovering outside my door, only the maid and groundskeepers who kept to themselves. As uncomfortable as I should have felt, I fell asleep as soon as the sun went down and slept like a baby until Ryuzo finally called.

My phone vibrated. I grabbed it, answering the video call the second I saw it was him. "Hey!"

"Mina-chan." He was driving in the dark through a shroud of trees. His hair hung loose onto the collar of a traditional black robe. "I am so sorry, I left hours ago but I couldn't find reception until now. I tried to call many times."

"It's okay."

"Are you all right? You look tired."

"I was asleep. Your father left a while ago. I'm just alone in the house."

"But everything is okay?"

"Yes." I wanted to get up, but hadn't shaken my sleep off enough. The gravity of the comfortable bed was still too strong. "It takes a lot of energy to get through your father's brand of passive-aggressive subliminal messaging."

"What did he talk to you about?"

"The same shit. He acts like we are getting married and warns me what being 'family' means to all of you."

"I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing. I chose to be with you. This is as much my fault as it is yours."

I wasn't upset about the conversation anymore. I was getting used to the intimidating nature of Osamu-san. It got easier every time it happened, and it was much better coming from someone who looked and acted like Ryuzo. Grumpy, sexy, never truly saying what they mean until I pry it out of them directly.

"You know, I think we made a breakthrough. He talked about your mom."

"He did?"

"Yes. He said she wasn't the kind of person his father wanted him to be with, but he loved her so much no one could tell him to stay away from her."

Ryuzo's brow cinched with contemplation. It was hard to tell how he felt about that, or if he even knew how he felt about it.

"Does it hurt to hear that?" I asked.

Still, he contemplated in silence. When the muscle flexed in his jaw, that was enough of an answer for me.

"Don't be upset, baby. Things are good. They are good for us."

"You believe what he said?"

"Not necessarily. But I think the underlying message is the same. He accepts I'm not going anywhere and why, but he wants me to understand what being family means." I stretched out, letting out the tension I had held in my body since receiving my living room surprise. The endorphins made me shiver with joy. "I love you, Zo-chan. If I have you while I have to put up with his threats and meddling, everything will be fine. Then one day, we'll live the life we really want." I kept it in code, still paranoid that someone was always watching.

"One day? You are willing to wait that long?"

"To be happy with you?" I asked. "Duh."

He stared at me for a moment before having to look back at the road. I watched him fight the grin that twitched on his lips. It was as if he didn't want to admit to himself that he wanted that, too. "I will be there in less than an hour."

"See you soon, baby."

We ended the call. I sat up to get ready, and the room kept tilting without me. "Ooh."