Chapter 12

Sara quickly hastened down the corridor towards her next class, her long brown hair swaying with each hurried step she took. As she turned the corner, her heart sank to see Alex standing there with Jack, engrossed in a lively conversation. A pang of discomfort shot through her, and she instinctively looked away, hoping they wouldn't notice her.

Just as she was about to make a hasty retreat, a familiar voice called out her name. "Sara, wait up!" It was Harry, her classmate  . He caught up to her and fell into step beside her, a friendly smile gracing his face. "Hey, wait, we're heading to class. Why don't we go together?"

Sara hesitated, her gaze flitting towards Alex and Jack, who now seemed to have taken notice of her. She felt a knot form in her stomach at the thought of facing them together. Yet, she couldn't refuse Harry's offer, and she managed a small nod of agreement.

As they approached Alex and Jack, Sara felt a wave of unease wash over her. Alex's eyes lingered on her, a flicker of recognition in his gaze. She cleared her throat, attempting to break the tension. "Uh, Alex, Jack, this is Harry. Harry, these are my friends, Alex and Jack," she awkwardly introduced, trying to ignore the knots forming in her stomach.

Alex's expression darkened at the mention of Harry, a slight frown forming on his face. Jack, on the other hand, offered a friendly smile and a nod, seemingly oblivious to the underlying tension in the air. "Nice to meet you, Harry," Jack said cheerily, extending a hand in greeting.

Harry returned the gesture, a confident grin on his face. "Likewise. Sara and I were just heading to class. We're running a bit late, so we should probably get going," he said, subtly nudging Sara to move along.

Sara nodded in agreement, grateful for the excuse to escape the awkward encounter. "Yeah, we should go. Nice meeting you, Alex, Jack. See you around," she said quickly, turning away before they could respond.

Walking briskly down the hallway, Sara felt Harry's presence beside her, a comforting presence amidst the tension she had just left behind. She stole a glance at him, appreciating his easy demeanor and the effortless way he seemed to put her at ease.

Meanwhile, Alex's eyes followed Sara as she walked away with Harry, a pang of jealousy gnawing at him. His jaw clenched as he watched her disappear down the hallway, her figure quickly fading from view. Jack noticed his friend's tense expression and nudged him with his elbow.

"Hey, man. Everything okay?" Jack asked, concern evident in his voice.

Alex tore his gaze away from the retreating figure of Sara and forced a tight smile. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Let's get to class," he muttered, trying to shake off the unsettling feeling in his chest.

As Sara and Harry entered the classroom, Sara felt a sense of relief wash over her. She settled into her seat, grateful for Harry's company and the distraction he provided from the awkward encounter with Alex and Jack. With a smile, she turned to Harry, grateful for his timely intervention and the friendship he offered.

As Harry and Sara walked out of the class, the midday sun beamed brightly, casting long shadows across the campus grounds. Sara clasped her books tightly, her eyes fixed on the path ahead. Harry cleared his throat, breaking the silence.

"Hey, Sara," Harry began, a nervous quiver in his voice. "Can I walk you back to the dorm?"

Sara glanced up, surprise flickering in her eyes. "Oh, um, sure, Harry. Thank you."

Harry fell into step beside her, quickening his stride to match her pace. The air between them hummed with an unspoken tension, thick and palpable. Sara stole a glance at Harry, noticing the way his hands fidgeted at his sides, his gaze darting nervously around.

After a few moments of quiet, Harry spoke again, his words hesitant. "Sara, I was wondering... if maybe... you'd like to go out with me sometime?"

Sara stopped in her tracks, her heart leaping in her chest. Was he asking her out on a date? Confusion and surprise warred within her as she struggled to find the right words. Just as she opened her mouth to respond, Harry quickly added, "I mean, just as friends! It doesn't have to be romantic or anything."

Sara's eyebrows furrowed as she processed his words. Friends? Relief washed over her. She thought of her conversation with Ashley, the words echoing in her mind. She shouldn't come between Alex and Mia. She should let her feelings go and move on. Perhaps going on a date, even as friends, would help her do just that.

Taking a deep breath, Sara squared her shoulders and mustered her courage. "Yes, Harry. I'd like that."

A smile lit up Harry's face, a wave of relief washing over him. "Great! How about this Saturday? We could grab a coffee or catch a movie or something."

Sara nodded, a small smile playing on her lips. "Sounds perfect."

As they resumed their walk, a comfortable silence settled between them, the weight of unspoken emotions lingering in the air. Harry stole glances at Sara, a sense of contentment and happiness bubbling within him. Sara's heart fluttered with a mix of emotions—hope, anticipation, and a touch of apprehension.

The sun dipped lower in the sky, casting a warm, golden glow over the campus as they reached Sara's dorm. Standing at the entrance, Sara turned to face Harry, her eyes meeting his.

"Thank you for walking me back, Harry," Sara said softly, a shy smile gracing her lips.

Harry returned her smile, his eyes warm and sincere. "Anytime, Sara. I'll see you on Saturday, then?"

Sara nodded, her heart aflutter with excitement and nerves. "Looking forward to it."

With a final wave, Harry turned to leave, a newfound spring in his step. Sara watched him go, a rush of emotions swirling within her. As she closed the door to her dorm room behind her, she couldn't help but wonder what the future held for her.