5. Almost A Date

Scene 1

Wilson finds House seated on a worn, wooden bench in the garden, staring blankly at a chessboard. Without a word, Wilson sits beside him, mirroring his posture.

Wilson: Planning your great escape by beating yourself at chess?

House: (without looking at Wilson) No, just contemplating how every move in this game is like deciding between a bad decision and a worse one. Kind of like my life choices.

Wilson: (sighs) You're not here because of bad decisions, House. You're here to get better.

House: Ah, the eternal optimist. Tell me, when did 'getting better' involve being babysat by Nurse Ratched and her merry band of pill pushers?

Wilson: It involves getting help from people who understand what you're going through.

House: Why are you even here?

Wilson: I'm here because you're my friend

Wilson: I'm here because you're my friend. Because I believe you can overcome this. But you have to want it, House. You have to be willing to face yourself.

There's a long pause as House's gaze shifts back to the chessboard

There's a long pause as House's gaze shifts back to the chessboard.He is trying, unsuccessfully, to ignore the worsening pain in his leg.

Wilson: (approaching with a concerned look) How's the leg?

House: Fantastic. I'm thinking of signing up for a marathon.

Wilson: You know, sarcasm isn't going to make the pain go away. How bad is it?

House: (leaning back, trying to appear nonchalant) On a scale from one to 'shooting morphine at a Grateful Dead concert'? It's manageable.

Wilson: House, you're not on Vicodin anymore. You can't just... ignore it. Have you talked to Dr.Nolan about managing the pain?

House: And what? Jump from one drug to another? That's what got me into this mess.

Wilson: There are other ways to manage pain, House. Other therapies. You're in a place where they can help you explore those options.