Chapter 8 - Good And Bad Tributes

(A/N: The movie never explains how but they somehow were back in their regular clothes in this scene. I'm just going with it. So, back to regular clothes, no more festival clothes)

...

As morning arose, all was calm for the trio. The boys snored away in their bed, with (Y/N) between them cuddling up to a pillow with a smile on her face, with their hair messy and faces at peace with sleep.

This was interrupted as Tzekel-Kan suddenly burst in, hovering over them while wearing a creepy skull mask. Startled from their sleep, they all let out terrified screams upon seeing him, but he simply smiled, unfazed by their reactions.

"Good morning, my lords and lady." He happily greeted before slipping away.

"He's back." Miguel whispered, still slightly terrified.

"Why did he have that creepy mask on?" (Y/N) shuddered.

Tulio just sighed, knowing that he wasn't about to enjoy whatever was being cooked up and sighed out, "Oh, no."

They were confused as they pulled back the curtain in front of them, revealing they had been in a palanquin and had been carried all the way to the edge of a cliff. The chief was there too, along with the whole city to watch whatever was about to happen.

The proud priest sauntered his way next to the chief and harshly hissed, "And now it's my turn."

The chief glared at the man, and it seemed he was apprehensive about what might happen, but he said nothing and gazed forward.

Tzekel-Kan then faced the crowd and loudly announced, "The Gods have awakened!"

Upon hearing those words, the whole city cheered in praise. But, at the sudden boom of their voices, the guys got spooked and fell, backs first, out of their carriage-like transport. (Y/N) tried to grab onto them before they fell but was too late and could only wince as they both landed with harsh thuds on the stone ground.

They quickly got to their feet, standing regally, and fixing their normal clothes and hair, while Chel nervously and quickly walked past them, dropping pretty pink petals at their feet, before extending his hand over to (Y/N).

Though confused by what was going on around her, she gratefully took his hand as he helped her out of the palanquin. They shared a smile but the moment faded as Chel's gaze slowly drifted towards the cliff, as well as Tzekel-Kan, his mahogany-coloured eyes swirling with worry.

"Hey, Chel, what's going on?" (Y/N) quietly asked, growing concerned by his expression.

"It's not gonna be good."

As he reluctantly let go of her hand and backed away, his words made her gulp and her unease intensify. It wasn't hard to notice, and Miguel was quick to try and ease her nerves by placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Thank you." Tulio sarcastically replied to Chel's statement but wasn't any less nervous than the others.

"This city had been granted a great blessing." Tzekel-Kan announced, still addressing the city. "And what have we done to show our gratitude? A meagre celebration."

The chief glared at the priest, not missing his insult.

But his attention was drawn away, with his anger being replaced with surprise, when he heard (Y/N) angrily mumble, "Rude."

"The Gods deserve a proper tribute!"

At the mention of this, a small group of women came forth, carrying a large, wrapped gift on a golden tray. While the guys grew excited at the sight of such a big gift, just for them for that matter, (Y/N) couldn't help but think back on Chel's words, making her gaze at the parcel with apprehension.