Chapter One

I was certain the year I turned sixteen was going to be the year that I became something. A year that I found myself. It was supposed to be the year I got my license, the year I wasn't just Isla Grayson's little sister and the year where I truly became proud to be Wren. Little did I know, my wish to be noticed was not only heard, but granted. I thought I might blossom at school and make the basketball team. I thought I'd finally get to fight for sport and find growth in what I loved to do. I thought sixteen was a magical number and it was the age where big things happened. Big things happened. But... Becoming an orphan? Well... that was not on my bingo card. I never expected at sixteen I was going to have to pick my life up and start over... alone.

I was the sole surviving member of my family. I had to watch them lower my parents and my sister, Isla, into the ground on a cold winter day. My parents- two people who were so greatly loved in the community. Two people who were known for being loving, caring, outgoing, and kind to everyone. Two people who gave back to the community. Two people who seemed normal. I didn't think these were the same two people who had some very big secrets. They weren't just Jeff and Lorraine. Dad wasn't just an accountant and a high school football coach. And Mom who stayed home with her kids and helped do homework and mediated arguments between two young girls wasn't just Mom who was always there. They were so much more and I had no idea. There were things about them that even ten years later, I was still finding out.

And Isla? I wanted so badly to be like Isla. I wanted to be just as carefree as she was. I wanted to be the girl who could walk up to anyone and start a conversation. It was so easy for Isla. She was bubbly and she was fun. She knew all the right things to say and she knew all the right things to do. She was dating the football star and she was the cheer captain. Not that I wanted to be a cheerleader- I was the complete opposite of that. However, I wanted to be as comfortable and confident with myself as Isla was. It wasn't until after that winter that I realized it wasn't Isla that I wanted to be like after all... it was Dad.

A scream from below startled me out of sleep. I shot up in bed, breathing heavily and looking for the source. I was wondering if it was a dream when another one ripped through the house. I slowly slid out of bed just as the door flew open and Isla rushed inside. She was in a panic, shutting the door just enough to hide us, but peeking out into the hallway to make sure nothing was there. Her breathing was just as erratic as mine and that increased the fear inside me even more. Isla was never scared. Isla was always calm and confident.

"Isla?" I whispered. "What's going on?"

"Shhh!" She snapped before peeking out the door again. She watched for a few moments and then jumped, quietly shutting the door even more. "Wren, we have to go."

"What? What's happening? Who is screaming?"

"Just listen to me!" She said as she quickly threw a hoodie at me. "We have to get out of here right now and you have to run fast. Do you understand me?"

"Isla, where's Dad?" I asked. "What is going on?"

"I don't know, but he said if there was ever trouble to get you out of here so that's what I'm doing." She kicked some tennis shoes at me next.

"Where are we going?"

"It doesn't matter, Wrenlee, there are people here to hurt us. We have to move. Let's go!"

I tied up my laces and nodded at her. I didn't understand what was going on, but I never knew this side of Isla. I never saw her in fear and I never saw her worried. If she was worried, something was wrong. But who in the world would want to hurt us?