Chapter Nine

I sat on the bench outside of the principal's office waiting for a parent. I wasn't sure which was coming, but after this, I'm not sure either would be preferable to the other. Regina Coulter was sitting across from me and glaring daggers at me over the bloody tissue pressed against her nose. I didn't understand the psychological tactic they used when they did this. What good was it to sit across from the girl you just got into a fight with? What did it do for the psyche? It definitely didn't make me want to be her friend. That's for dang sure. I ignored Regina and returned to the door, watching as Dad's white Silverado pulled to the curb and he started across the path to the front door. His expression was unreadable as he swung into the lobby, a hand in the pocket of his jeans, and our eyes met as he rounded the bench and stepped into the office.

"Hi," he said sweetly to the lady behind the desk, "my name is Jeff Grayson. My daughter is Wren Grayson. Ms. Vail called me."

"Oh!" The office lady blushed profusely.

Dad was handsome- no ifs, and's, or buts about it and he worked that angle. Every. Single. Time.

"Mr. Grayson," Ms. Vail rounded the desk and stuck a hand in his direction, "Victoria Vail." She smiled at him.

Ms. Vail- ever so subtle. Sometimes I think she called home just so she could talk to Dad.

"It's nice to meet you in person this time." She said as he shook her hand.

"Unfortunate circumstances." He sighed as his eyes went to me outside the window.

I looked away and they moved into her office as I waited.

"You're dead meat now, Grayson." Regina said. "Ms. Vail's going to expel you."

"Regina!" Regina's mother hurried inside. "Oh my God!"

"Can you believe this?" Regina asked her mother. "I have cheer tryouts tomorrow! I'm going to look like a beluga whale!" Regina pouted as she pulled back the tissue.

Regina's mother glared at me as she entered the office. "What is going on?"

"Mrs. Coulter, Ms. Vail is in a meeting with the other parent right now, she'll be with you in a minute."

"I want to talk to her now! My daughter was the one who was assaulted! I want something done about this now!"

"She'll be with you in a moment."

"No! Now! My daughter's bleeding out there. I'll have to take her to the doctor now to make sure her nose is okay! And we'll be pressing charges immediately. What kind of people raise their kids to go around breaking other girls' noses? This is blasphemy. For what? Just because my Regina is pretty?"

The door to Ms. Vail's office opened and Dad stepped out.

"Hi, I'm Jeff Grayson." He gestured to me. "I'm Wren's Dad."

Mrs. Coulter took a step back as he gave her a small smile. "Oh... h-hello."

He hitched his thumb over his shoulder. "I couldn't help but overhear and wanted to come out and introduce myself. I'd be more than willing to cover any expenses needed to repair your daughter's nose. I just think this was a disagreement between two girls that got out of hand."

"Your daughter broke her nose... they're fifteen."

Dad chuckled a little. "Unfortunately I run a pretty tight ship. My girls train in self-defense five times a week."