Chapter Five

Saturday was typically everyone's favorite day on campus. No curfew, training is optional, and many use it as their cheat day. Typically students wandered into town, that wasn't really an option for them with vampire activity on the high, but that was what a typical Saturday consisted of. I was a fan of Saturdays myself, even though I still went to the gym at least once. But that specific Saturday was one of the worst days of the year. It was Family Day. It was right up there with birthdays and Christmas' for me. A day when families were invited to visit their students on campus or in town to see their success. To be with them a few times throughout the year. Clearly, no one came for me. I had no family. I had Fremont, but I saw him daily. Family Day was something different when you didn't see them often. And even though I was in my early twenties, I still had a hard time watching others interact with their families. They were moments I hadn't had in a long time.

"You're doing your training, correct?" A father asked his teenage daughter who wanted to be anywhere but there with him.

She rolled her eyes. "Of course I am, Dad. What do you think we do here?"

"Well since your track record includes you skipping at least once a week, I have to check." Her Dad said. "Are you working with other parts of your body or are you just focusing on the defense?"

"Dad, please stop."

I was seated on top of a table in the courtyard watching their conversation unfold before me. It was quiet banter back and forth that quickly turned into a disagreement and though she seemed to hate it, I longed for it. I would have done anything to have Dad there telling me how to get better. Giving me pointers. I wanted him to nag me about my weaknesses and remind me there's more to a fight than your strengths.

I missed them. All of them. I missed Isla yelling at me for taking her clothes or "ruining her life". I missed Mom's gentle and soothing tone explaining to me that one day Isla and I would get along and be all each other has. One day we'd lean on one another. I missed Dad. God I missed Dad. I missed watching fights with him on TV. I missed his stories. I missed the private training sessions where he corrected me and praised me with a kind and patient tone. I missed his laugh. I missed him. I missed them. And I hated Family Day.

I hopped off the table and slung my bag over my shoulder. My abrupt exit from the table must have startled them because as I walked by, their eyes were on me.

"That's Wren Grayson." The teen girl whispered sadly to her dad, her eyes avoiding mine.

"Wren Grayson," he said quietly, "a great role model. I heard she got early placement and Chief Mitchel's sponsoring her. You should be going to her spars and learning something, Chastity."

I tucked my hands into the pockets of my jacket and headed for the gym. It felt good that parents wanted their children to study me and learn from me. That was a compliment. I wanted to hear what else he thought of me, but I couldn't sit there any longer and listen. Family Day brought out the pain.

I kept my head down avoiding the happy families as I walked. I was pretty sure if I saw another, I wasn't going to be able to hold back the floodgates. The gym was empty when I got there, Fremont wasn't even there. I usually had to drag him out of his apartment on Saturdays. He was usually there with feet up and a few cold ones with some game on.

I dropped my bag on the bleachers and began stretching. I worked against a bag, landing kicks and punches that probably could inflict some serious damage due to the anger simmering inside me. I tried my best not to, but unfortunately, I couldn't fight it. I brought up the memory of that night. I thought about Isla and her panicked face when she stepped on the creaky floorboard. Mom's screams plagued my mind moments before I typically went to bed guaranteeing me a nightmare. The vampire's faces. The one with striking white hair and coal-colored eyes. I thought about Dad. The way he looked up at me as he lay in the grass. The blood fell from his neck as he gasped for air. His love poured into me as he took final breaths. Mitchel dragged me away from him, holding me as I cried. I didn't even try to stop the tears. I let them fall, mix with the sweat on my face, and for the first time in a long time, I let myself cry.