12 ➵ run

Feel free to comment on anything pertaining to the story. Please do remember that this is unedited.

ILLUSION

[chapter twelve]

We hear the InGen soldiers clear out as Claire jumps into the front seat. Owen told us to stay here as he goes out with his 'pack.'

At first nothing is happening and curiosity gets ahold of me. I reach behind me and slide the window open.

Claire is holding a tablet. The footage she's looking at is green, night vision.

"What's that?" I hear Gray ask. I turn slightly to my right and see his head peeking into the widow. I move to the left to give him more room only to bump into Zach. Cheek to cheek. I feel my face heat and I glance back at the screen.

"Its the 'raptors head cams," she explains quietly. She bits her lip as she watches Owen ride among the 'raptors and I know she's nervous.

I don't see much as they zoom through the forest. Suddenly the 'raptors video cams thrust upwards as there focus is caught buy something must bigger than them. The Indominus.

The screen lingers there and I can hear the hushed whispers of the InGen men.

The 'raptors slowly turn their attention on the men who were lined up, guns drawn. The cameras focus in on one person. Owen.

Claire and I gasp at the same time; Gray has his mouth open in shock and Zach's jaw locks.

We hear the men shout before the 'raptors launch at them.

Their camera's go dead.

Claire raised her hand and calmly slides the widow closed, locking it.

I turn around and press my back against the cold metal wall.

I feel Zach lace his fingers with mine and Gray grab hold of my shirt again.

We breathe slowly together, and then silence joins the darkness, engulfing us.

My face is emotionless as I try and calm down my breathing. I feel my heart pound in my chest. And suddenly, the whole truck starts to rock back and fourth. I hug Gray to my side as Zach wraps his arms around us. The truck tilts drastically to the left. Everything slides, including us, into the wall. I pull Gray forwards so that I won't land on him.

I hit the wall hard, Gray hits me. I use my free arm to brace myself as I feel the truck roll onto its side.

The Indominus roars and hits its head against the bottom of the truck, rocking it violently. It's found us, I think. What happened with the others?

"We," I huff, "have to get...out of here."

I grab on to one of the metal shelves and haul myself up. I reach for the door, scrunching my face as I a stretch for a handle too far away. I cry, panicking as the hits get harder.

"Please," I pled. To whom, I don't know.

I hear Zach grunt from behind me. He's by my side and he pushes the door, freeing us. He quickly trips out, turning to offer Gray a hand, them me.

I reach for his hand, but its too late.

The truck lurches forward, pushing them down into the mud. I see his tear stained face, his dark brown eyes wide with fear, before the door slams shut from the momentum of the Indominus taking hold of the truck in its mouth. Swinging back its head, it lunches me off the side of the road and deep into the woods.

The truck plummets to the ground hard and I slam my head on the metal roof. I stay completely still, listening for any sign that it followed me. I wait a few seconds before scrambling to my feet and darting into the woods.

I don't think I just run. I barely see the trees flashing by; they're all just a blur of vivid greens and rich browns blending into nothing.

I don't know how long its been, but I can barely keep running. I cheeks are red from the wind and I am breathing hard. With my lungs aching, I carry myself as quickly as I can to the main road.

I can heard it roar behind me; the ground shakes as it runs after me. Dogging tree branches, I try and run faster than my legs can carry me. I trip once, then again. I sob and use my shaking arms to lift myself up.

I feel like coughing up blood. My head is spinning and I can't see anything. I just keep running. I need to reach that road. I need to reach Zach.

I can't take much longer, but I think of him and I know I need to keep going.

I notice trees getting thicker and I realize I had been going the wrong way. I stop abruptly and spin around. I cry.

Where had I came from? Where am I going?

I can't think.

It's too late. It's already here.

I quickly duck behind a fallen log, hoping that the darkness will be enough to keep me hidden.

Closing my eyes, I hear it approach me and I smell its rancid breath near my face. It recently killed someone. If I wasn't so scared, if this monster hadn't already robbed me of my breath, I'd scream.

Suddenly, I feel an arm slide around my waist and the other cover my mouth, muffling my agonizing screams.

"Relax, it's me."

I breathe out a sigh of relief and cling to him. It's Zach.

A loud roar comes from behind us. Turning to Zach, I watch as his eyes widen as he hugs me tighter.

I close my eyes and hope that Owen gets here soon.

Suddenly a different type off roar sounds. The roar of a motorcycle. Zach and I share a look. Owen.

I risk a peek out from the top of the log. I felt Zach shift beside me as he does the same.

The motorcycle's light attracts the Indominus and it turns away from us. I see Owen speed off with the Indominus following closely.

I breathe out. He used himself as bait.

I lean against Zach and he wraps his arms around me. I almost get too caught up in the moment when I realize we're missing a certain curly headed boy.

"Where's Gray?"

"I left him with Aunt Claire." He's out of breath, too.

"You came back for me," I sigh. We're so close that we breathe the same air. I rest my forehead against his. He risked his life to find me. I can't even comprehend caring that much for one single person. And the fact that he did that makes my heart swell.

The forest keeps quiet as the world slows down, allowing fate to give us time for just this one moment.

I slowly lower my head so that we are face to face, looking into each other's eyes. There's so much wonder in his. I study his face and notice the crinkles by sides his eyes, proof of all the hidden smiling he does. I notice that even now, with us sitting in mud in the dark woods in this horrible situation, the faint curve of his lips as he secretly smiles to himself.

His eyes flicker briefly to my lips, then to my eyes again, almost as if he's silently asking for permission.

I smile softly before tangling my fingers in his hair, bring his face closer to mine and pressing my lips to his.

*

I know I used the prologue but I spiced it up a little. Please show this some love! I loved writing it. Plus it's a day early!

(Don't worry. Next chapter will have a better description of the kiss! Have to be following in order to see what happens next. Just unfollow when you're done if you want.)

Kisses x