1 | Sunset of Memories

August 2023

Bambi looked out across the meadow as the orange sun kissed the earths horizon, her peach iced tea had rivulets running along the sides of the crystal glass Arsenio enjoyed drinking out of so damn much. Old fool told her it made the tea taste sweeter, but she'd been adding a little extra sugar to his glasses the past fifty years since she first bought the crystal sets. She glanced over at the accompanying glass beside hers, untouched, waiting patiently for someone to indulge in it.

"Nonna!" A call came from the front of their home.

Placing the photo album down she looked over here shoulder, "out here child."

The loud boots followed by much gentler heels announced their journey across the hardwood floorboards. "Now why you sitting out here, it's getting cold," Killian muttered, grabbing the throw from the armchair next to her and placing it over her shoulders.

"Watching the sunset," Bambi smiled, enjoying the last whispers of it.

Killian shook his head, "Let's go inside, I'll make you a hot chocolate."

Lily stood behind the two, enjoying the glimpses of her husband's gentle nature, a part of him he often hid from everyone but her. "I'll make the cocoa, come nonna," she rounded the seating and took the older woman's worn hands.

Bright green eyes sparkled mischievously up at her. "Thank the lord, I don't think I've ever tasted anything as bitter as Killian's hot chocolate." She rose to her feet and took hold of her cane, "now I keep telling you both I am okay, visiting me each week changes nothing but the number of grey hairs on my head." She muttered walking into her home. 

"It's been two months; you've not left the house." Killiam commented, guiding Bambi to the open living space, where she sat with the view of the dinning room and kitchen. Killian moved to close the patio doors, but she held her hand up and asked him to leave them open. Arsenio loved the gentle breeze that would pass through their home on those hot summer nights, and though it was winter, she still appreciated the cold that pinched her frail skin.

Bambi laughed as her grandson took a seat beside her, "my body doesn't work the way it used to, son." That was her excuse, though she no longer walked the small forest trail or went to the fruit markets with her carer. Bambi had lost the love of her life and with it her love for life too diminished. "She's glowing," the older woman commented, watching the young blonde move around her kitchen.

Killian hummed, "you're changing the subject."

"I'm not. I've had my years, many of them filled with love, pain and everything in between. My one regret, not spending every spare second, I had with those I love. I would bask in them, hold them, love them suffocatingly. I would give all my minutes if it meant I could go back to the day I first spoke to your Nonno." Bambi sighed. Her heart ached with the lose and each night she found herself barely holding on.

The young Don looked at her, "why that day?" He asked as Lily took a seat opposite them and passed them each a cup of hot chocolate.

Bambi smiled warmly,that little twinkle in her eyes back, "because it was the first time, I saw theman laugh let alone smile..." She began.