Chapter 77 - Proposals and Requests

Natalia's P. O. V

Once again, I found myself inspecting my reflection in a mirror of the Royal Werewolves' Palace.

This time instead of the right wing for official duties or the main wing for the mate ball, I had been given a suite in the left wing – the residence wing of the Royals. The difference was striking. Instead of a room with an adjourning bathroom, the suite was complete with a parlour for receiving personal guests, a bedroom twice the size of any I'd stayed in during my time at the palace, a closet bigger than I needed for a visit, and a bathroom that could be described as nothing short of luxury.

A knock came at the suite door, followed by Mrs Burton's voice, "Are you ready, Your Highness?"

I left the bedroom and crossed the parlour to open the door for her. She looked at me with that same expression of pride that made my heart long for my mother.

"You look lovely, Your Highness." She said with a bow.

I had her to thank for it. The dress she'd found for me was midnight blue, with subtle shimmers that sparkled when I moved ever so slightly, like a night sky with shy stars. It was asymmetrical, with the front stopping at my knees and the back just brushing the floor with the lace-up platforms I wore. My hair had been weaved into an intricate crown on my head, where a brilliant silver tiara was placed.

"I have the final touch of your outfit. May I place it on you?"

I turned around and she came up behind me, placing the heavy cape on my shoulders and clasping the thick woven rope across my chest. From what I'd seen of it, my family's crest was embroidered on the back of it, bold and proud for all to see that I was a Syrenlina.

"It's time, Your Highness."

I nodded and followed her out of the suite, where we met a palace guide who took us to the royal reception hall. The closer we got, the hotter I got. By the time we reached the doors, my heart was galloping so fast that I was sure even Mrs Burton could hear it. My nerves made me glad I'd decided to ask her to come along months ago.

The moment I'd finished unpacking after returning to New York in January, I'd beelined to Mrs. Burton's office.

"Hello Natalia," She'd greeted me warmly, "Happy New Year and a belated Merry Christmas. How was your last trip?"

I'd thought back to the excitement in my members' voices as they'd told me all about how the news of Harry's failed attempt to flirt and invite us to ally with the Lightwood Pack had spread like wildfire and smiled, "It was very productive."

"That's good to hear. What brings you to my office so soon after you've returned?"

"I want you to come with me to the Werewolf Palace."

She blinked.

"The plan I told you about last year," I continued, "the one for us to form an alliance with Werewolves by offering land that they may not have. I want to go as the envoy to propose this idea and I want you to come with me."

"I'm flattered you want me to come, but an alliance like this needs the approval of the High Court. I'll have to convince them before we can do this and it won't be easy."

"They have to listen to reason." I insisted, "Besides Syrens who are Vampires' natural prey and Vampire Hunters that were specifically made to hunt them, Werewolves are the only other species that's had beef with Vampires. They might not be actively at war anymore, but there's a long history of bad blood there. After all, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Let's make them our friends."