Chapter 21 The Silver Stone

While she waited, her gaze landed on a polished round shield. She stepped up to it and looked closer.

Ming floated down next to her. "What are you looking at this rubbish for?" he said.

"Well... I don't want to die. Wouldn't a shield be good with how dangerous this world is?" she asked.

"No. Forget that worthless trash. If you don't want to die or get hurt then don't get hit. Lightning is unrestrained, swift, and powerful. Your defense is in destroying your enemies before they can even touch you.

"I've looked over everything else, and I think you should pick the heavenly moon pills over there. They'll help your cultivation. None of these weapons or anything will be any good to you for long at the rate you're progressing. Our end goal is much higher than this," he said.

Jie nodded. "That makes sense," she muttered, "I'll do it."

Vaultmaster Song raised an eyebrow, and Jie blushed.

She turned away from the shield and walked over to the bottle of glowing white heavenly moon pills.

A stone on one of the shelves caught her eye. Jie stopped in her tracks and looked at it. It was a dull silver color... maybe some kind of metal rock instead of a stone... but it was just so beautiful.

"What are you doing? Let's get the pills and go," Ming said.

Jie took a step closer to the stone. It wasn't a dull silver... it was the most beautiful silver in the universe! How could anything compare to such a wondrous object? She licked her lips as she stared at it, unable to look away.

"Kiddo?" Ming said.

"It's too beautiful. I'm taking it. I want it. I need it," Jie said.

"What? That... that thing? That disgusting little pebble? Why would you want that?" Ming asked.

Jie gritted her teeth. "How dare you! You apologize for that!" she snapped.

"No! It's putrid! Revolting! I hate it!" Ming said.

Jie ignored him and picked up the stone. A shiver ran through her whole body. It felt so right. So perfect. Yes... she needed it. She needed it more than anything.

She glared at Ming and held up the stone. "I choose this," she said.

"No!" Ming yelled inside her mind. His aura spilled out, and she crumpled to the floor. The treasures around them rattled like a hurricane was blowing through.

As quickly as Ming's oppressive power appeared, it vanished.

"Jie? Are you okay?" he asked without a trace of anger.

Vaultmaster Song rushed over. "What is it child?" he said, bending down and offering her a hand.

She took it, and he helped her up.

Vaultmaster Song looked at the stone in her hand and leaped backward in a blur of motion. "Keep that hideous thing away from me!" he shouted.

Jie looked down at the stone and blinked. She still wanted it. In fact, she'd never ever let it go. But, she'd returned to herself enough now to realize just how weird this was... to provoke such a reaction...

Despite that... she found herself unable to resist...

"This is what I choose as my reward," Jie said, holding up the stone.

Fear gripped her heart. Who knew what this thing did, but she just couldn't let it go. Even now, her knuckles were white as she clutched it as tight as she could.