Chapter 49 Invitation

"Hey! Jie!" Pan Tian said.

Jie blinked and finally noticed the older girl. Of course, she'd known someone was there on some level, but she hadn't truly recognized that fact until now.

"What is it?" Jie asked.

Pan Tian recoiled. "Jeez! What did I do?" she asked.

Jie frowned. "What're talking about?" she said.

"You just sounded so... angry," Pan Tian said.

"Don't worry, I'm not. I was just thinking. What's up?" Jie asked.

Pan Tian narrowed her eyes. "I suppose that makes sense. You don't hear how you sound to other people do you?" she said.

Jie giggled. "How would I?" she asked.

Pan Tian rolled her eyes. "You're terrible at it though! You sounded like you wanted to murder someone in cold blood. Or... actually, now that I think about it... you sound much worse when you want to do that," she said with a smile.

"So are you going to tell me why you're talking to me?" Jie said.

Pan Tian frowned. "You know... you're doing it a little again. It's... weird. Have you not spoken to anyone much or something?" she said.

"There was a time I was in... isolated training," Jie said, "now what is it?"

Pan Tian nodded. "I thought it might be something like that. You don't hate me or anything right?" she said.

Jie's gaze turned flat. "I think I will if you keep avoiding my question," she said.

Pan Tian giggled. "Oh! Yes! I'm going to the city with my family soon. You should come," she said.

"Thanks, but no," Jie said.

Pan Tian blinked as though she'd just been slapped. "What? But why? Do you already have plans?" she asked.

Jie looked at the older girl like she was insane. "Training?" she said.

Pan Tian pressed the palms of her hands to her face. "Do you ever even think of anything else?" she asked.

"Why would I?" Jie asked.

"There's more to life!" Pan Tian said.

"And, I'm sure I'll experience more of that if I don't die because I'm too weak," Jie said.

Pan Tian let out a ragged sigh. "Oh, come on! You can go without training for a few days!" she said, "it'll be fun! I'll show you the sights! I'll even treat you. In case you need to send that spirit coin home or something."

It was Jie's turn to be stunned. "That's... very nice of you," she said.

"Don't look so shocked! What are friends for? So, you'll come?" Pan Tian said.

"No, I need to train," Jie said.

Pan Tian's hands closed on the air in front of her as though strangling an invisible neck. She let out a slow breath and inhaled even slower. She opened her mouth but closed it as though trying to figure something out. Then, her eyes lit up. "You know... you can get some extremely impressive cultivation resources in the city," she said.

Jie stopped walking. "How impressive? Doesn't the academy have all the pills?" she asked.

Pan Tian snorted. "Do you think they'll sell all the most precious items here? To people who can't afford them? No. And, aside from that, there are all kinds of incredible items brought in from all over! You never know what treasures might be available. Things that even a spirit coin can't purchase," she said, "and so much more than pills. Items to aid cultivation, martial skills, weapons, armor, special food for cultivating, ancient texts that help you cultivate even better..."