Six

Felicia

It's odd, isn't it ... the way fate works?

When I auctioned my virginity off, I thought I was kissing any future I had with Brock away. Instead, he's the one who won me.

It has to be fate, right?

The way Mr. Harlow—erm, Brock—makes me feel can't be anything but that.

And yet, I can't help feeling concerned. What's going to happen when we land? I know what Iwantto happen, and I can't help thinking he wants the same thing as I do. Men don't just go down on women in private planes on the way to their vacation homes, right?

I hope so. Now that I've had him close, I don't want to let go. It's like he's the forbidden fruit and now I've finally had a taste, I can't go back. I don't know what this means for me, and I certainly don't know what this means for my friendship with Olivia. Even if Brock and I continue down this path, I can't just give her up. Not when she changed my life for the better.

But I also know that I won't be able to be around her father if I can't keep touching him. Despite their differences, Olivia and her dad are close. A real relationship between he and I coulddestroy not only my friendship with her, but it could destroy their family relationship too. We'd all end up heartbroken.

For the first time since stepping in to protect my father, I wonder if this is all worth it. The auction, the escape with Brock, the moment we shared on the plane—all of it.

When we land at the Denver airport, a car is waiting for us. We start the drive up the mountain to the cabin Brock keeps. I've been to a few times before, just never alone with him.

As we get into the car, I finally turn my phone back on. Soon, it's pinging with missed calls and texts, mostly from my dad. He says the funds have arrived to his old boss and he's now off the hook and back in good standing. A series of thanks and apology messages follows but I don't bother looking at any of them. While things could have turned out way worse and I'm glad I was able to save him, I'm still not sure how I feel about talking to him right now.

Not to mention that I know I'll soon be getting calls from the market, asking where I am. If I didn't have a big chunk of cash headed my way even after getting my dad's debt paid off, I might be more worried. As it stands, I have more than enough for us to make it by for a few months, if not more.

When the lights of the cabin come into view up the road, I can't help sighing in relief.

I've always loved secluded mountain hideaway. The views are stunning year-round, and even though I know it cost a ton of money, it has always felt so homey and welcoming, much more so than the Hamptons house or the penthouse in the city.

And now we have it all to ourselves.

Brock leads me through to the living room, before disappearing to his bedroom for a moment. I make my way to the window and stand by the window and gaze out at the vast, dark forests before looking up at the stars, but they're obscured by clouds. It's still dark—the trip from New York to Denver is long, but it wasn't long enough to give the sun time to come up. I'd smelled rain on the air on our way inside, but the flash of lightning that lights up the face of the mountain confirms that there's a storm on the way.

I sense Brock behind me just as the crack of thunder sounds in the distance. It's closer than I thought.

Seems like there's a storm on the way," he says, sliding my jacket off my shoulders.

I shiver at his touch, hot despite the fact the fact that the air in the house is cool and fresh from being so high up in the mountains. I turn to face him, only to be enveloped in a thick bathrobe that smells like him as he wraps it around me.