Chapter I

The sound of the fire crackling jolted me awake from my deep sleep. The fire was in the center of my small wooden cabin and was about to go out. The final few sparks screamed for help. I unwrapped myself from the warm covers. I let out a yawn while stretching my back. Sparks started to pop and crackle. When I opened the door to my cabin, the sun was just beginning to rise. Going outside, I grab some firewood from the shelf next to the door.

The wind felt chilly against my bare skin as I closed the door. My chest is bandaged, and I am wearing arm warmers that barely keep me warm. I should've gotten a shirt. The logs crackle as they fall from my grasp and land on the fading sparks. I hugged myself tightly as I shivered. I put on a dark brown furry shirt from the tiny closet at the foot of my bed. The bright green of my pants makes the brown appear paler.

Marlow nodded off in his small bed. The snail was the only thing that made me feel less alone. His shell was a vibrant green, and he was quite large. With his breath, the gentle little bed shifted. Marlow means a lot to me, even though he's a tiny snail. During the summer, I would accompany him on walks, and we would always discover new things to explore.

The new logs made the fire happily crackle. The orange glow from the fire illuminated my small home. Except for the bathroom, my cabin was essentially one room. My bed and closet are located on the left-hand wall. My tiny kitchen, which includes a small cooler and cabinets that hug the wall, is situated against the back wall. A door leads to the bathroom, and swords and knives hang on the right wall.

Swords and other weapons are used for work purposes. I began working for the village as a hunter a year ago. I was tasked with protecting the community from supernatural threats such as werewolves and vampires. I needed to make sure I was always armed with the best weapons, so I hung my swords and knives on the wall for easy access. The task was simple. I had the chance to explore and live in the woods. Yes, it was cold up here in the north, and the majority of the year was spent in the winter, but it was also quiet. Never had the hunt been so bad.

I break free from my work-related thoughts and go to the kitchen to get a pan. It seemed only natural to eat breakfast before heading out for the day. On the edge of the pan, I cracked some eggs and watched them gently fall. I grab the pan and sit down next to the fire on a small grill. I grabbed some spices that were nearby—salt and pepper, a basil leaf, and other small pieces of nature—and threw them on the eggs.

The fire hissed and chuckled. It felt cozy and warm. The aroma of the cooking eggs made my house feel more cozy. I gave Marlow some lettuce, which he munched on happily. My dark red hair fell in front of my face as I was flipping eggs on a pan. Cutting it had proven to be a chore. I tied it in a ponytail because it was long enough. I finished preparing my eggs by tying my hair up with a small elastic I found in the bathroom. Feeling the chill in the air, I knew today would be a good day to go outside and check my traps.

❄❄❄

I close my jacket buttons, practically sweating from the warmth my outdoor clothing has provided. I remove a scarf from a rack and wrap it around my neck, just high enough to cover my nose. It was a beautiful brown-striped scarf. It was a favorite of mine, which my mother had bought for me at a farmers' market a few years ago.

I opened the door and let the chilly air hit me. I needed to check my traps for any type of animal. Regardless of how good eggs are, they taste even better with some meat. My belt was weighed down by a sword. It was better to be safe than sorry, even if it meant not having to hunt any creatures.

My boots crunched in the snow. The first two traps had been empty, and I was starting to lose hope. The cold was biting my cheeks as the sun set. I had a basket full of flowers and berries. If I'm not bringing back meat, I should bring some food and tea.