Chapter V

Pine stared at me. His eyes were wide and full of questions. He seemed to be in shock, almost.

Pine brought his hand to his head, keeping it straight before bringing it down, his pinkie and thumb still out.

I didn't understand what he was saying, but I could tell he was confused. "It would be easier for us to communicate." I stated. "You don't have to if you don't want to."

Pine picked up the pencil lying on the floor quickly and began writing in the sketchbook. "I'll teach you!" A big smile lay across his face. His eyes were shining.

I stood up to put the first aid kit away. "Would you like some tea, Pine?" I asked. It was better to be hydrated before teaching someone. Pine nodded eagerly, so I smiled and started to fill the teapot with boiling water from the electric kettle. I made a mental note that he likes tea.

"What should I start with when learning to sign?" I filled the kettle with water and set it on the fire before grabbing a blanket from my bed. I placed the blanket on Pine's lap, and I then took a seat beside him. Two mugs sat on the kitchen table, both with a bag of pine needles and herbs. The sun was slowly setting, casting an orange hue into the cabin. Pines' eyes lit up as he looked at the mugs and noticed the herbs, and I could tell he was feeling better already. He pulled the blanket closer to him.

"We should start with your name; it would be the easiest." Pine wrote down his thoughts on the sketchbook that sat on the blanket.

"Ah ok." I responded. I watched as Pine moved his hands so they were sticking out of the blanket. The kettle started whistling on the fire, making us both jump. I laughed, the tension from before dissipating as the sound of bubbling water filled the room.

"Let me get that." I stuttered a little. I grabbed the kettle off the fire and started pouring hot water into the mugs. The tea bags floated to the surface with the hot liquid. I could already smell the sweet aroma of the tea, and I watched as the color of the water slowly changed to a pale brown. I brought the two mugs over to where Pine and I are sitting by the fire. I passed Pine a mug before sitting down. We sat right across from each other, our knees almost touching.

"Be careful, it's hot." I said, grabbing some blankets from Pine's lap. "We are starting with my name, right?" Pine responded with a nod. He turned to the sketchbook on his lap and began writing.

Pine nodded again and took a sip of his tea. He puts his tea down and takes out his right hand, putting it right by his face.

He made a cup motion, resembling a 'C' with his hands. I copied him, trying my best to make a 'C.' Pine gave me a quick nod after he inspected my hand a little. He then moved his hand into an 'O' shape. His thumb lay on the outside of his other fingers. Pine then pointed his finger up, making a 'D.' Then he made a fist. Pine would take a break in between each letter to see how I was doing. Pine crossed his index and middle fingers.

"That's how you say Cedar." Pine wrote in the sketchbook. "You try without me now." He gave me a gentle smile. Trying my best to remember, I started to repeat the movements Pine had made. Pine nodded at my "C." I then moved my hands to make an "E." Pine let out a rough giggle. He moved my hand with his so that my fingers were facing him. His hands were surprisingly rough.

"Oh," I whispered. Pine gave me a quick thumbs up. I continued saying my name. When I came to the "R," Pine clapped. He wore a big smile, and the dimple seemed to be bigger in his cheek with the patched skin. His appreciation was truly a sight to behold, and it left me feeling even more confident.

"That was good!" Pine wrote. That one single moment of appreciation was enough to make me feel like I had achieved something big.

"Thank you." I let out a small, awkward chuckle.

The sun had fully set, and the room was lit only by the fire. It was warm. I took a sip of my tea, which was only lukewarm. The combination of the minty pine flavor and the rosemary was surprisingly pleasant, and it was a nice reminder of the pleasant warmth of the room.

Mylo flew around the room before landing on Pine's shoulder. With his index finger, Pine petted the moth. I look over to Marlow, who is eating some lettuce I left on the counter for him.

"The moth." I said, "Mylo, where did you find him?"

Pine turned his attention to me before looking down at the sketchbook. "I don't really know; I found him when I was younger."

I watched as Mylo squeezed himself into a fold of Pine's sweater. Pine continued to write in the sketchbook. "Where did you get Marlow?" He questioned.

"Oh," I say as I look over to Marlow, who is looking at me suspiciously. I get up and walk over to the kitchen, letting the snail slowly crawl onto my hand. "My sister got him for me a few years back." I take Marlow back to the fire and show him off to Pine. "He's very friendly."

Pine was a bit apprehensive at first, but he cautiously reached out and touched Marlow's shell. Marlow crawled around my hand as Pine petted his hard green shell. I carefully placed Marlow in his bed.

Pine took another sip of his tea. As Pine watched Marlow drift off to sleep, he smiled contentedly.

"Marlow is adorable!" Pine wrote. A small smile was on his face. Pine appeared to be so soft right now, wrapped in blankets and smiling. Pine looked as if he couldn't hurt a fly, and he probably couldn't. His soft, kind eyes and gentle demeanor were like those of a guardian angel, silently watching over the world.

I watched as Pine placed Mylo in the small bed. He stood up and moved his arms around a little. Pine looked down at the stitches that left lines on his arms. I picked up the empty mugs on the floor and put them on the kitchen counter, giving them a rinse with some fresh water.

My shoulder received a light tap. I turned around to see Pine standing behind me. He placed a hand under his chin and moved it slowly to his left hand, which was lying flat. Pine then used sign language to spell out my name. He gave me a gentle smile before going over to his bed and carefully lying down.

"Goodnight Pine." I whispered in the cabin as I walked over to my bed. The only thing that could be heard within the cabin was the soft crackling of the fire.