𝕻𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊

·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ * ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ * ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ * ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

The wind whistled through the trees. Not strong enough to make the branches sway, but strong enough to sing a song to the birds that nested within its branches. To the animals that creeped below and took refuge from the burning sun underneath its branches.

The brightly shining sun didn't bother her though. She laid out by the creek, basking in its rays, softly humming a tune her mother would sing to get her to sleep on nights when the wind rattled the shutters and thunder shook the plains. On nights like that her mother would sit at the end of her bed sing native songs to her until she fell asleep again. She never knew what her mother was saying, but it always soothed her.

Walking to the edge of the creek the girl grabbed her floral dress by the hem and held it up while she splashed around in the water. Her mother would have a fit if she saw her. But the girl already knew her mother would not come out of the house for a long time. She stopped splashing once something sparkling in the water caught her eye. Releasing her dress she bent down to pick it up. She squealed in delight at the small blue rock in her hand. Distracted, she didn't notice her brother running towards her at full speed.

He collided with her knocking them both into the water. Screaming in fear and pain from the sharp rock that was digging into her back; she tried in vain to get her brother off her. He covered her mouth and glared at her telling her to be quiet. She heeded his instructions and stayed silent while he peeked over the edge of the creek. After a few seconds of being still she started squirming again. She wanted to see what was going on. She managed to wiggle out from under her brother causing him to fall into the water with a loud splash. Forgetting to be quiet she pointed at her brother and laughed loudly. With fear in his eyes he stood up quickly and grabbed her hand. The boy was practically dragging his sister behind him while he ran, but he didn't stop. She hadn't seen, she hadn't heard, she didn't know.

Gripping the key his mother had given him tightly in his small hand he ran into the woods. The trees towered above them, providing them with shade from the sun. The girl whined, trying to pull her hand free. But the boy wouldn't let up. Groaning internally she just tried to keep pace with him.

He finally stopped at a small house in the middle of the woods. The girl noticed the tense and fearful look on her brother's face and decided to stay silent. He pushed her inside and told her to wait for him and not to come out no matter what. He also told her not to open the door to anyone, not even if they looked like him, he had a key and wouldn't knock.

After he left the girl decided to do some exploring. Standing up from her spot on the dusty floor she made sure the door was locked before turning around.

A few feet in front of her was a hallway with two doors on both the side walls and one door at the end. On a wall next to the hallway was a black stove, much like the one her mother used. To the left of the stove was a large pantry with cabinets from ceiling to floor. About three feet away from the stove was a small wooden table with two chairs at it, one on either end. Across from the kitchenette was a living area. Two bales of hay covered with blankets made to be a couch sat against the back wall.

The girl squealed in delight when she noticed her favorite toy laying on the 'couch'. She hurried across the room and held the small doll to her chest. Leaning slightly, she peeked around the corner down the hall. Since her brother wasn't here she could take the biggest room. Giggling, she skipped down the hall towards the first door on the right.

She opened the door only to find a drain in the floor and a small bucket next to it. An indoor shower? The girl was used to bathing in the creek. Closing the door she walked across the hall to the next room. That door opened up to a closet of sorts. Grunting, she closed that door and ran back across the hall to the second door on the right.