𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖗

Nazifa

Killian skipped joyfully beside me as we made our way to the city gates. I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye and sighed. I didn't know how to care for a child. I was the youngest. The baby. I didn't know what to do with him. I couldn't protect him. I clenched my fist and glared at the ground. Hell, I couldn't protect myself.

I shook my head as a memory flashed through my mind. Not now, Nazifa. "Nazifa?" "Yes." I muttered, without looking at him. "Where are we going?" I sighed. "I don't know." "Will we get eaten by an Arkarian?!" "No, Killian." "Are you sure?" I bit my lip. To be honest or to be gentle. I looked down into Killian's big gray eyes and decided to be gentle. "Yes, Killian. I'm sure." He relaxed and fell into step beside me once more.

The way he'd looked up at me. I knew I couldn't break his spirit. How could I do that to him, knowing how much pain it caused me. I couldn't. I wasn't normally one to jump to conclusions about how people were raised. But it was clear that Killian had had a pretty good childhood. I mean, he'd grown up in an orphanage but it wasn't like he was unwanted there. Or was he?

"Killian?" "Yeah?" "Why did you leave the orphanage?" His eyes widened, but only for a second, then his face became expressionless again. "I don't know." He muttered, kicking at a rock. I watched as it skidded across the path and disappeared into the tall grass.

"If you say so, Killian."

Thinking about it now, I should've probably grabbed some supplies. But I'd been in a hurry to leave. I wonder if Kailani is still there. Probably not, she'd been packing up stuff when I left. I wonder where she went. I glanced down at Killian again. Did he even know about Kailani? She was his sister, right? No, they could be cousins. Or she could be his aunt. However, that would work.

Killian grabbing my hand cut off my thoughts. He clung to me tightly and hid behind my leg. "What's the matter, buddy?" I asked, he raised his hand and pointed a chubby finger into the tall grass in front of us. "There's something there." He whispered, sending shivers down my spine. "Who's there?" I asked in a whisper, leaning down to his level to see if I could see what he was seeing. I saw nothing.

"I don't know." He whispered. "It was big and brown." I swallowed hard. It could've been an Akarian. They were known to hunt in this valley during summertime. Which was why most people didn't leave Orlam until autumn.

The grass rustled and I froze. Killian and I held our breath, unable to move as the creature moved closer. My mind was screaming at me to run. But I felt as if someone had glued my feet to the ground.

Killian's sudden scream made adrenaline shoot through my body. I grabbed his arm and started running as fast as I could. I was practically dragging the boy behind me, though he didn't seem to mind. I could hear the creature getting closer. Every time its paws hit the ground the valley shook. My chest felt tight and my legs burned. But I didn't stop. I swung Killian onto my back, it'd be easier than dragging him behind me. He was also less likely to get hurt.

I saw a forest in the distance. "A forest!" Killian shouted, pointing at it over my shoulder. "I see it, let's hope this thing can't climb trees." Killian tensed. "I can't climb trees!" I sighed, I'd figured. But that was alright, I could work with that. I'd just climb up with him on my back. He'd have to hang on tight.

I stumbled slightly as I entered the forest. It was hard to run with Killian on my back and avoid all the sticks and tree roots on the forest floor. It's just like playing hopscotch. I thought to myself. Yes, it was childish and kinda dumb. But it somewhat distracted me from the giant creature weaving its way through the trees trying to make Killian and I its next meal.