16 | Good Intentions with Mortifying Results

Ben spent four and a half miserable days heaving over the deck into the churning ocean. Every time he thought he'd emptied his stomach, he discovered hours later he hadn't. When he slept, it was in fits, waking to stagger across the floor, only for Tallon to help him to the deck, holding him upright and rubbing his back. Maisie coaxed him into drinking tea and soup, patiently persisting until he eventually accepted, if only to shut her up. Tallon, in an oddly warm mood after a day of the cold shoulder, sat on the floor by the bunk, helping him drink water and placing a wet cloth on his forehead when Ben curled into the fetal position. Scamp and Sprout stayed by his side the entire time—with Sprout patting his cheek in a comforting gesture, and Scamp licking his face when he groaned.

During quiet moments, Tallon went through the documents, starting with those written in Common tongue. Ledgers, proof of Guild Memberships across various professions, people who still needed to pay their fees, and lists of associates and rivals. Tallon focused on these especially, noting both Brixby and Raebel among several others on a strike list, with a notation by Brixby's name: PAID IN FULL — DO NOT COLLECT.

Recalling his conversation with Ben at the Otter, Tallon chuckled. What could a common tavern keeper hold over a mob boss?

With Raebel's name, Grelorn had left an asterisk by her name but no explanation except Collect payment. NO ARRESTS.

Interesting. Raebel clearly had no love for the guild, but her alchemy skills seemed to keep her safe for now. Unless she knew something.

Many others were not so fortunate, and if they hadn't been sabotaged or imprisoned yet, they soon would be. Names like Maisie had things written like Found guilty for arson. Sold to Voric Strobelius—DEBT RESOLVED. The crossed out names were what sent chills through his blood though, each followed with notations like ACCIDENTAL DEATH or HUNG FOR THEFT.

Additionally, he noticed a sheet containing several lower merchants who'd been double or triple charged—taxed into poverty.

Tallon scratched the light stubble along his neck. This was definitely proof enough of corruption, but he needed more, particularly documents incriminating the Coconut Conglomerate.

Setting aside that collection, Tallon moved onto the next sheaf, thumbing through the delicate elven script and wondering what elf would sink low enough to do illegal business with a human. Humans distrusted elves for their advanced biology like hearing, sight, and agility, and superior attitudes. Elves considered humans primitive—slaves to their emotions, greed and lack of respect to their fellow humanoids and environment.

Brows furrowed and tongue between his teeth, Tallon studied the elven missive, outlining the sale and distribution of Indigo Mushrooms as well as a single Dwarven document from the north with an order for chemicals to be shipped to Ballsdeep and then Ardensfall. Nothing more was mentioned—twas only an invoice after all—but it was enough to warrant closer inspection of Khoghtorhm, the northern capital on the mainland continent.

Well into the third night as the oil wick dimmed, Maisie set a cup of tea on Tallon's desk and said, "You should rest, m'lord."

Exhausted from limited sleep and hours of straining his eyes, Tallon placed the documents inside the strange wooden box that disturbingly reminded him of Twiggy (who scurried away with a squeak every time he brought it out), and exhaled slowly. "I'm fine, thank you. But please don't call me "My Lord" when it's just us. I am no one's lord."

At his invitation, she sat in a cushioned chair beside him and watched him with curious eyes. "Like it or not, sir, you own me. And even if you did turn me free, I'd be caught and severely punished."

Tallon closed his eyes and massaged his temples. This was exactly why he'd wanted nothing to do with the responsibility of running his father's estate or the politics involved. Under his state's rule, slavery was taboo—not quite a crime but enough to be shunned for it—and though Maisie would be considered a free woman in his lands, she'd never find employment anywhere else unless they could remove her brand.