1 | Starlight and a Desolate Path

"This is worse than Ballsdeep."

Tallon couldn't believe it was possible to hate a place more than that bigoted town, but this beach was the entryway to the deepest pit of Zolo's Tenth Hell. Black and gray rock encompassed the crumbling port, the cracked earth, and sinister mountains. Shoals peppered the choppy shore off the coast, and the only trees still standing had withered into fossilized bark.

Ahead, a vertical cliff loomed, engulfed by the low hanging storm clouds. Fog rolled over the land, covering the main road and a secondary path leading east. When inquiring as to what was that way, a dock worker made a religious sign and said, "Death."

The lighthouse had done its job, guiding the cramped ship through rough seas and ice floes. A handful of passengers disembarked, and none of them appeared to be the chatty sort.

A figure shrouded in a black cloak and armor slipped into the heavy mist. Another lit a lantern and set off to the west on foot.

With two chests to haul around, the party would need a cart and a horse. Tallon only hoped the steeds for sale didn't look like something at death's door.

Groaning, Tallon went in search of the stable master, leaving Ben and Maisie to guard their things. Scamp flew behind him while Sprout stayed with Ben, whining unhappily in his ear.

"Shush. You'll be alright," Ben admonished, chasing the Sproutling back under his cap with a poke of his finger. "What do you live on but sunlight and water, anyway? We'll find enough of that. As for the rest of us..." He eyed the gray, fog-shrouded, cliff-enclosed environs dubiously, and shuddered. "I'm sure Tallon knows what he's doing."

Maisie scoffed. She'd been leaning against him, half wrapped in his cloak for warmth. "You put too much faith in 'im," she said. "Not that he's incapable, by any means, but you got to learn to look out fer yerself, as well."

Ben scowled. He'd survived nearly twenty years on his own, more or less; if he could survive in Ballsdeep, he could survive anywhere. Or so he'd thought.

This new place was something different; and as strange seabirds wheeled overhead against an iron-hued sky, he shivered and looked to where Tallon stood negotiating with the stable-master.

Ben knew he relied too heavily on the elf. But Tallon had the money, name, and easy manner of a man born to privilege. It was a matter of course that Ben—an innkeeper's lad, and an orphan of dubious birth—should defer to him.

"Maybe," he allowed. "But it seems only proper to follow his lead."

As Tallon took the reins of a well-fed dun mare hitched to a low cart and led the beast back towards them, Maisie leaned her head on Ben's shoulder and sighed. "You're right, o' course. It's tellin' when to speak up, and when to keep silent, that's always been the trouble for me."

She smiled as Tallon approached and pulled away from Ben to greet him.

"How'd it go, m'lord? Are we set for the road ahead?"

He nodded and patted the mare affectionately. "This is Starlight. According to the stable master, this young lass has some fire in her—she'll kick you senseless if you startle her—but she told me she didn't care much for her old handler."

"Say what now?" Ben asked, gawking at the horse, who nickered as if telling him that yes, he was an idiot and that she, Starlight, could indeed talk.

With his palm flat and his other hand still gripping the reins, Tallon fed Starlight an apple. "I'm an animal handler. My magic allows me to bond with beasts and communicate, but it takes a lot of effort and energy. Plus, the creature has to be willing to share a mental link. Starlight is happy to go on an adventure and leave hard labor behind."