5

5

LUCAS’ POV.

My eyelids fluttered open slowly, and my eyes hit the white, unfamiliar ceiling. Everywhere was cold, and I looked to my side for evidence that a steamy night had really happened between me and a total stranger.

The bed was empty. I was the only one in it, but I couldn’t fool myself into thinking that nothing had happened the previous night. Her scent still lingered on the sheets, and the lotion she had used on her hair seemed to be stuck directly in my nose. I sat up in my bed and thought hard, running my hands through my hair.

Why had I suddenly done such a horrible thing? The night had been fast, and everything was so rushed that I had been caught up in it. At first, I had tried to resist, but she was so alluring, and I couldn’t take my eyes off her.

She had just triggered me in ways I had never been triggered before.

Maybe I needed to admit it, but the moment she walked into the bar, I was taken by her beauty. Her beauty was simple yet enchanting. Till she took her seat at the bar counter, I stared at her and had to force myself to stop staring.

I didn’t naturally care for women because they were all the same. All they wanted was money, popularity, and the upper hand over their peers. They all didn’t care to do whatever it took to get a rich man. Due to that, I never gave them more than a glance.

But things just felt strange with her. I was attracted but didn’t want to admit it.

Then, just when I managed to focus on my work, I heard her fighting with the bartender. I tried my best not to react, but in the end I did, and due to the fact that I had been taken aback by her beauty earlier, it was very easy for her to seduce me.

I got up from the bed, put on my clothes, and went to the restroom. She wasn’t there. Did she leave?

I took my bath and ordered breakfast and new clothes to wear. Then I went down the stairs to the counter.

There were only a few people eating there, and I didn’t see the bartender I had seen the previous night. Instead, it was a woman.

“I’m from room 5. The…” I was saying, but the woman at the counter smiled, interrupting me.

“Ah, you’re the man from room 5. The lady came down early this morning and paid for everything.”

“Paid for everything?” I asked, wondering why she would do such a thing.

“Yes, she paid for everything before leaving.” The woman replied, and I sighed.

“She didn’t drop a contact, her address, or something?” I asked, but she shook her head. “How much is the room?” I asked again.

“She already…”

“She paid for her stay in the room. I’ll pay for mine.” I said, sliding my credit card towards her, and she looked shocked.

“But…”

“I’m paying for my stay. That’s it. Any other bills to settle?” I asked, and she bit her lips briefly.

“There are no bills to settle.” She replied. I could see she was going to take the money, but I didn’t care. I wasn’t about to let a random woman pay for my stay and make me look like the irresponsible one.

I stayed in the room for a while, thinking hard. Why would I make love to a complete stranger? Everything about the night played in my head clearly. I had never felt anything like it.

She was simply perfect. My fingers could remember the feel of her soft skin and the soft strands of her hair. While making love to me, she had smiled and seemed cheerful. Of course, she had been heartbroken. That was what I could tell from her actions and behaviors. She didn’t seem like a loose woman, and she had a ring on her finger.

I tried to tell myself it wasn’t my fault and that she seduced me, but a little harsh voice said the fault was all mine.

She was drunk and didn’t mean what she did. Not just drunk, but drugged. I was sane and could tell right from wrong. I could have resisted and locked her in her room until the drug wore off on her body and she was no longer drunk, but I didn’t.

I had let myself get swayed and had listened to the voice of my desires. Maybe it was because it had been long since I last had a woman, or because I had been taken aback by her beauty, or because she had been innocently alluring—I had no idea.

After a while, I decided to leave and continue my journey. I had driven for hours the previous day, after my flight into the country, and it had been so hard to find a hotel. The area seemed remote, but luckily I had found the inn where I was able to sit and finish up a few things. Unfortunately, before I had booked a room, I had met the strange lady, and we ended up sharing a room.

I left the inn and got into my car, preparing for the journey home. According to my GPS, the drive was going to be a little over two hours.

Already, the sun was high in the sky, and it made me scared to face the traffic that might occur.

Traffic when the sun was high meant unbearable heat, and it felt like the heat would kill me.

I began to drive, and the road seemed free. I had yet to encounter any traffic.

“Let’s just forget.” I said to myself, trying to forget the strange woman. It was a one-night stand, and like all one-night stands, it was meant to be forgotten.

Unfortunately, as I drove, I continued to see her face in my mind and realized forgetting was going to be a challenge.

I was unable to take my mind off of her.