Chapter Ten

True to her word, Rebecca invited Freen to the next round of drinks with her friends a couple of weeks later. It was saturday and she'd spent all day on calls with West and Mai as they combed through depositions from the opposing counsel and witness statements from two police officers in a family law case. 

Rebecca herself was mostly experienced in criminal law, relishing the opportunity to ferret out the lies of those who thought they were above the law, but she'd spent a fair amount of time working with West on her family law cases, proving herself worthy of making partner at the firm.

The long day distracted her from worrying about Freen coming over though, which was a relief until she found herself with nothing to do but worry after calling it a day eleven hours later. 

Racking up the billable hours in between receiving catering platters and deliveries of alcohol was a good distraction, but when she was left with nothing else to do but primp in the mirror and make sure the pillows were straightened and there was enough ice, the nerves started settling in.

She'd told everyone to arrive at six-thirty but there was a knock at five-forty that made her stomach twist. Making her way downstairs, Rebecca opened the door to find Freen standing there with a bouquet of flowers and a tote bag slung over her shoulder.

"Hey," Freen murmured, giving her a reserved smile.

A slow smile spread across Rebecca's face and she reached out to cradle Freen's waist, pulling her closer and kissing her slowly. 

"Hey."

"I know I'm early, I just thought I'd come and help get everything sorted."

Rebecca raised her eyebrows and laughed quietly, "I mean, I'm happy I get to spend more time with you, but there's not really much to do."

Stepping aside, she let Freen in and shut the door, the afternoon cooling off as the overcast day made the open church seem dimmer, pale shafts of colour light speckling the floor. Freen walked into the kitchen and put her bags down before shedding her coat. 

She was wearing a short-sleeved shirt, French tucked into the front of her jeans, and her Birkenstocks, blonde hair waving past her shoulders and glasses perched on her nose. She handed Rebecca the flowers and Rebecca smiled, her worry melting into affection as she thanked her and found a vase.

"You look nice."

"You always say that," Freen quietly scoffed, reaching out to pull Rebecca forward and kiss her again, lingering this time.

"I always mean it," Rebecca murmured against her lips.

She could feel Freen smile in response and pulled back, offering her own smile.

Toying with the ends of Rebecca's hair, Freen raised her eyebrows. "You look nice too."

Looking down at herself, Rebecca let out a short laugh, her wide-legged cropped pants and matching patterned shirt one of her more casual ensembles that she'd agonised over for a few hours. 

It was a casual night of drinking with her friends, a routine occasion, but with Freen coming this time, Rebecca had over-thought the entire thing. She always ordered platters for them to snack on, but should she go for something else this time? 

She'd bought three different types of beer this time - the one Heng always drank, the one she knew Freen stocked at home, and one that she knew to be a popular brand, just in case - and worried that there weren't enough options.

As if sensing her frazzled thoughts, Freen cocked her head to the side. "You okay?"

"I'm... fine," Rebecca dismissively replied, waving a hand. "Just making sure I've ordered everything."