Chapter Seventeen

"Hello?"

"Engfa."

Freen's voice was low and hoarse, breaking on the sound of her sister's name as she dragged her bag from the conveyor belt and dragged it towards the exit. 

It was dark outside, winter delaying the dawn, and Freen shivered as cool air slammed into her as she made for the row of yellow cabs lining the curb.

"Yeah, hey. You're calling early," she disgruntledly replied, a yawn breaking off her sentence. "What time is it there?"

Swallowing thickly, Freen hailed one of the cabs and the man popped open the trunk, hauling her suitcase up as she pulled the phone from her ear and thanked him. Yanking open the door to the back, she slid inside and slammed it shut behind her.

"I'm at the airport. Are you home?"

"Yeah, I got home from a crime scene about... two hours ago. You woke me up."

"Sorry."

"What do you mean you're at the airport? I thought you weren't coming back until Wednesday."

"I... can I come over?"

Softly sighing, Engfa only hesitated for a brief moment. "Sure."

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine. I'll see you soon."

Guilt sank into her stomach, joining the yawning pit of it already there, and she hung up before blinking at the expectant look of the driver in the rearview mirror. Rubbing her forehead as she closed her eyes, Freen haltingly gave him her sister's address.

She hadn't slept at all on the flight, waiting at the airport for the next departing one, her hair and makeup a little messed up and at odds with the sweater and jeans she'd changed into before packing her things. 

Nudging her glasses up, she swiped her thumb and forefinger over her eyelids and could taste the sour bile at the back of her throat from the alcohol she'd vomited up in the airport bathroom, an odd chill creeping up on her as adrenaline waned and dread crept in. 

This wasn't how it was supposed to happen.

The cab pulled up outside Engfa's apartment and she paid the driver and let him haul her case from the trunk. Wheeling it over to the stoop of the building, she pushed Engfa's buzzer and the door clicked a few minutes later, admitting her to the quiet lobby. 

The elevator clanked its way up to her sister's floor and spat her out and she dragged her luggage behind her and knocked on the door.

Engfa yanked it open a moment later, circles beneath her eyes and a weary slump to her shoulders. Her dark eyes gave Freen an appraising look.

"You look like shit."

Freen surprised them both by letting out a breathless sob as tears suddenly filled her eyes. The sound hitched in her throat and she struggled to draw in a shuddering breath.

Momentarily speechless, Engfa made a small sound of surprise and grabbed her arm, dragging her inside and then grabbing her suitcase before shutting the door to the apartment.

"What the hell happened?" Engfa softly exclaimed, confusion softening her face as she cupped Freen's shoulder and looked at her with shock in her eyes.

Letting out a ragged sob, Freen shook her head and Engfa clicked her tongue and drew her into a hug. Somewhat reluctantly caving, Freen pressed her cheek against her sister's shoulders and felt old grief resurface to drag her down. 

Engfa let her go and then rubbed her back, guiding her over to the sofa where Freen sat heavily.

"I thought you were at a wedding. I mean..."