Chapter 2

A piercing light shining at my eyes had me groaning in discomfort and displeasure. The sharp sun rays told me that it was already dusk.

A gentle knock on a wooden door had me slowly opening my eyes as I thought of who it could be. Mom!

I instantly jumped off the bed and almost crashed onto the floor as dizziness made me sway.

“I'm coming!” I quickly answered as I tried to force myself to move forward, only for my eyes to connect with unfamiliar walls and an unfamiliar sitting area and changing area. A feeling of confusion settled into me as the world spun.

“There's no need for that, Ma'am.” A motherly voice filtered through the door. “May I please come in?”

“Yes.” I absent-mindedly responded as I carefully took a seat on the bed and closed my eyes to try and collect myself. The sound of the door opening had me opening my eyes again, only to see a woman with brunette locks and the most beautiful tanned skin practically rushing my way. Her hair was covered by a cap of sorts while her body was covered by a black and white maid’s outfit. The dress was black and went down to the wooden floors in an A-line shape. A white long sleeved shirt peeked from her arms but matched the white apron she had on. Silent clicks sounded against the floor as she rushed to me with her dress slightly lifted with her hands from each side.

“Ma'am! Are you alright?” She asked, a look of concern marring her features.

“I'm okay,” I responded as I felt the dizziness subside. “I'm sorry, but who are you?” I couldn't help but to ask as she stopped in front of me and placed the back of her hand against my forehead before tsking in disapproval.

“This simply won't do,” She shook her head, “Please get back under the covers, my Lady,” She frowned as she gently grabbed my arm and helped me back into bed. Once she was sure I was safely tucked in, she took a step away and grabbed the sides of her dress as she curtsied, “My name is Marbella, Miss and I am your designated servant, that is if you will have me, of course.”

“My designated servant?” I quirked an eyebrow in confusion. My eyes slowly roamed the room to the unfamiliar furniture and the vintage style. One would say I was in a vintage 5 star hotel of some sort, but the designated servant’ part would by far cost me a fortune if I was. How did I even end up here?

“Yes, Ma'am,” She nodded as she rose and folded her arms in front of her lap. “His majesty assigned me personally.”

“His majesty?” I furrowed my eyebrows, “Who is that?”

“That is someone you will meet in due time.” A masculine voice responded from somewhere nearby. Both Marbella and I’s attention instantly shot to the door where a man wearing a white shirt and black dress pants stood at the now open door. A pair of leather boots went to his knees as he rested his arms behind his back.

“Who are you?” I asked both out of curiosity and confusion. His clothes were nothing short of different. It's not something I've seen men wear around me. On the contrary, his clothes matched the decor in the room perfectly. Maybe I booked myself into a vintage themed hotel. The staff were clearly in on the acting as well. I actually felt like I had been transported back in time and was an important aristocrat.

I wonder how much I owe this place for this room and the service.

“Marbella, you may take your leave for now. Please ask the cooks to prepare supper. My instincts tell me that our guest is famished. His majesty or our guest will request for your aid when required.” The man told the woman who referred to herself as my designated servant.

“Right away.” Marbella gave a quick curtsy to both the mysterious man and I, making sure to give a more subtle but visible dip to the man. It showed more submissiveness than the one she gave me, so that alone told me that this man held a very respectable rank here. After her bows, she silently left the room, making sure to close the door behind her. The mysterious man seemed to be both intrigued and weary of me. I wonder if he was thinking of whether I could afford the treatment that they were giving me, I know I was.