34 - Under the Rock

I gasp—first out of surprise—then appreciation. Inside, I am welcomed to a colossal cave, jam-packed with humongous chunks of crystallized turquoise latched on the walls and ceiling. The walls glow teal and sparkle without needing sunlight. Turquoise stalagmites sprout from the ground like massive blades of grass and glitter like an array of stars. Despite the darkness of the dome, I can see clearly thanks to the smoldering rock.

I daringly take a step down the dark hall to further explore the hypnotic phenomenon. My eyes scan crystals scattered about the floor and I shake my head in disbelief. There's no way this is Mars. No way this place is real.

My captivation stops when I sense a hand slide up my spine and slither around my shoulder. Brink takes my hips from behind and draws me into him so that my back presses against his abdomen. I tilt my head up to get a view of his face, and he stuns me with a gentle, enthralling kiss.

Nearly speechless, I announce, "This place is...incredible," as if he hasn't already guessed my opinion. My voice echoes in the cave, ricocheting off the multitude of gems. In that instant, I wonder how large this area is. Does it lead anywhere?

Brink's face is odd. It's...blank as he stares straight ahead. "Come on," he says. He weaves his fingers through mine and leads me further into the cave. I disregard the strangeness for the time being, too caught up in my surroundings to care.

We come to a cloudy pool of teal water. Fog hovers above it, allowing me to consider that it may be steam. I'm unable to approximate the depth of the pond because of its chalky appearance, so it could be a foot, could be ten. Nevertheless, it's beautiful and calming. I've never seen anything like it before.

At my right, Brink releases my hand from his gentle grip and unlatches a casing on his forearm, revealing a few turquoise buttons, each the size of a pea. He presses the first one and a pop sound occurs. The entire top half of his suit unhinges and removes itself from his body in one fluid motion. Once it is off, it stitches back together again and lays on the ground below us.

I stare at him, in awe of the mechanics of his suit, and in mesmerization of his body. His slimming black suit undeniably hid the broadness of his shoulders and muscle definition of his arms and abdomen.

The environment is perfectly catered to correspond with the color of his hair. His eyes. The electric inlay of his suit. He belongs on this world more than I do. Carefully, he picks up my hand and presses it against his chest.

"Shall we go for a swim?" he seductively suggests, before raising my hand and pecking it with his lips.

I endeavor to swallow around the massive lump in my throat, but fail as my stomach churns a concoction of apprehension and desire.

Brink obviously sees my hesitation, because he immediately attempts to stifle it. "Everything is okay, Aurora. I am here if anything happens. Plus, you best continue on if you want to complete the tour," he says, his voice borderline robotic.

I don't know how to take his statement, but decide to let him whisk me away—for my own curiosity's sake. I'd love to see the rest of this magical place.

"Let me give you a kick start," he offers. Brink's hand reaches out for my arm and presses a spot near my elbow, which releases the hatch on my own suit. Inside, there are the three buttons, all a distinctive white. Experimental suit, I think.

What exactly will it remove from me? Everything?

"Okay. Keep the suit on, but it is very lightweight and will make you float; it has a precautionary safety feature to prevent drowning. Also, the helmet with engage, and you will look like an astronaut. Not to mention you will be uncomfortable."

OTHERS (Formerly The Scarlet Effect)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara