50 - No Pain, No Gain

"Travis, it's not what you—" I immediately reach out. The cliché could never be more true. I can't believe this is happening. Why didn't Travis just stick to the plan and stay out of sight? I had no intentions of kissing Brink by any means. By now, I figured he trusted my judgement.

"Why is he here?" Brink roars, his voice bouncing off the cave walls behind me.

I stand between them to prevent any fighting. "Back up, Brink," I command, and turn to Travis, who's beyond furious. "You have to understand. We were only talking, I swear."

Suddenly Travis takes me by the shoulders and gives me a shake. "What the hell is wrong with you? How could you do this to me?" he retorts. Before I know it, Travis is writhing on the ground, screaming bloody murder.

"Brink, quit it! Stop!" I shout at him. He's manipulating Travis's mind. What is he making him see that hurts him so bad?

"He was attacking you!" Brink bellows in defense, but Travis's body goes still again so I know he let up.

I hold my hand out to Travis, but he shakes his head and scrambles to his feet on his own, watching both of us suspiciously. His eyes are cold. "After everything we've been through, how can you betray me? Do you care about me at all?"

"Don't listen to what he says, he's delirious," Brink speaks from the sidelines.

"Oh what do you know, huh?" Travis says, and rushes over to Brink. Their faces are mere inches apart. I wedge myself between them again, pissed that it's come to this. All of this fighting will resolve nothing. "Get away Aurora! I'm sick of you protecting me. Let me fucking kill him."

Brink continues to glare at Travis, not letting his eyes stray for a second. "Good luck with that," he challenges.

Travis squirms around on my right, his arms flinging in the air, which riles Brink up as well, but Travis is no match for him, as weak as he is. Regardless, both guys push against me, desperate for each other's throats.

"You ruined everything!" Brink growls at him. "Everything would've been fine if you just died!" He breaks free of my wall and tackles Travis to the ground, throwing punches every which way.

I ram myself into Brink's side with all the force I can muster to shove him off. We tumble on the ground and I land above him, straddling his waist, my hand at the ready. With bared teeth, I whisper, "I dare you to touch him again."

"Get off me," he grunts, wiggling under my body.

"If I were you, I'd pick my battles a little more carefully. You're two against one here." I shove his chest down hard and stand. Travis is on his knees now, but struggling to get all the way up. Before he can reject, I stick my arm under his shoulder and aid him to his feet. No thankyou derives from his mouth, not that I care.

"He should be dead by now," Brink's voice comes up behind me. "He hasn't had shots in two days."

I roll my eyes, way ahead of him. "I found the antidote."

Brink crosses his arms, skeptical. I can tell he's impressed that I was able to get my hands on it.

"Come on Aurora, let's leave. I told you we shouldn't have come," Travis says, and takes my hand.

"Well you weren't supposed to," Brink snarls. "I don't remember asking you to join her."

Travis starts at Brink again but I hold him back. "Give her the fucking antidote, asshole!" he shouts to him. His eyes are moist with frustration.