Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Ch. 66: Promise Me

Anna froze.

The whole thing happened in slow-motion: Sophie, diving towards her; the soft snick of the dagger sinking into her neck; the spray of blood; Sophie's body hitting the frozen grass, her sword skidding from her hand.

Anna sprang forward.

"Sophie."

The word tore from her chest. Anna dropped to her knees, frantically feeling for the injury; the wound pulsed beneath her hand, beating like a second heart. She was dimly aware of Ryne charging towards Lucia, covered in blood and soot, but she wasn't paying attention.

Anna's fingers probed the wound. Twin skin flaps hung open, exposing a mess of flesh and tendons. Her chest tightened.

Shit.

Sophie's smile was bloodless. "Always. Forget. To guard. Your left."

"Shut up," Anna muttered. "Don't waste your energy." She ripped the edge of her shirt with her teeth. "This might hurt. Hold still."

"No point," Sophie wheezed.

Anna wrapped the makeshift bandage. The blood kept coming, and her hands were slick, making it difficult to tie. "Don't say that."

"Anna," Sophie said.

Anna bent closer to the wound. Her heart was a hummingbird, frantically beating at her ribcage. If she could just tie this bandage off— if she could get Sophie back to the castle, where all the healers were—

"Annie," Sophie gasped. "Look at me."

Her guardian fumbled for her hand. Anna looked up, half-wild with desperation, her hands soaked with blood.

"We both know..." Sophie drew a ragged breath. "How this ends."

Anna shook her head. "No."

"S'okay." Sophie squeezed her hand, her fingers cold and weak. "I'm not afraid."

"I am," Anna whispered.

She couldn't remember saying that to Sophie before. Years stretched between them, yawning open like a rusted door hinge. Hopping between stones in a raging river, climbing trees, chasing wolves through the forest... Anna had always run headlong into danger, too excited to be frightened. My little wild thing, Sophie had said, shaking her head as she bandaged yet another scraped knee. Nothing ever scares you, does it?

Anna gripped her guardian's hand. Blood was drying on her fingers, making the skin tacky. Sophie's dark eyes searched her face. They looked enormous against her parchment skin, like twin ink pots.

"So much like... your mother. She'd be. So proud."

A lump rose in Anna's throat. "You're my mother. You always have been."

"Promise me," Sophie breathed. "A favour."

"Anything," Anna said, without hesitation.

Sophie beckoned her closer. She coughed, leaving a bloody lipstick mark on Anna's cheek. She was choking on her own blood, Anna realized, her throat tightening. Drowning on land in her own body.

"Don't marry him," Sophie breathed.

Anna jerked back. "What?"

"Delafort." Sophie's eyes were surprisingly fierce. "The throne. Is your. Destiny." Her fingers tightened. "It has always. Belonged. To you."

Tears pricked at her eyes. "Sophie..."

"Promise," Sophie gasped.

"I promise." The words stuck in her throat like brambles. "I'll take back the throne. For you. For our people."

icon lock

Show your support for J K MacLaren, and continue reading this story

by J K MacLaren
@JKMacLaren
Anna and Ryne must battle against evil forces - and their own hearts...
Unlock a new story part. Your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.
See how Coins support your favorite writers like @JKMacLaren.