SIX. tis the damn season

december 2nd, 2023:
iowa city, iowa
hawkeyes vs. falcons

Jada let the ball fly, draining a corner three.

Tatum let out a whoop, screaming, "Let's go!"

Her roommate pointed at her for credit for the assist while the bench went wild. Tatum laughed as she noticed Kate out of the corner of her eye, jumping from the bench, ecstatic for her best friends.

The end score against Bowling Green resulted in yet another win: 99-65. Jada had 7 points, Caitlin with her usual 20 plus, Tatum had 14, and Kate had 17 total with two blocks that were ruthless. The entire bench had been buzzing with energy, both when Tatum was on and off the court. Each block (especially when they were Kate's because why were they so insane?), each assist, each three left Tatum jumping with joy.

It had been a great game for the entire team. Every day she was prouder in her team and ultimately, more proud with her 18 year old self for bringing her there.

XOX

december 10, 2023:
madison, wisconsin

Tatum laughed at her teammates eagerness to partake in Jada's tiktok, even the bus driver letting her take a couple pictures for it. The trend was a simple one and the girls were having a lot of fun with it, seeing just how creative they could be with the idea of getting tossed out of their seats.

Sydney had pressed against the window, Jada had raised her feet into the air, "dawgs out and all" as Tatum had put it, Gabbie had done the same thing but with a blanket on following Tatum's joke. Kate lay in the middle of the aisle, raising her hands as she pretended to having gotten tossed out of her seat.

"You look a dying roach." Caitlin quipped to Kate as Jada took the picture.

"Shut up."

Next had been Tatum, who pretended to be mid fall out of her chair and onto the aisle, like she was sliding out of it. It had made Kylie laugh from beside her.

Then Jada had her roommate take a picture of her bracing the walls of the bathroom before striking another pose with Gabbie, practically throwing herself over the top of a seat. Following those two had been Kylie, AJ and Molly, before Gabbie insisted she had another angle in mind.

Tatum laughed, curled up beneath her blanket into the side of Kate, who had deemed one another their blanket buddy, as they watched Gabbie climb into the cubbies above their heads. "Dude, what?"

"I'm gonna pee my pants!" Jada cackled in the aisle as she held her phone. She clutched onto one of the seats next to her as she laughed at the senior.

"Jada! Take it!"

XOX

wednesday, december 13th, 2023:
iowa city, iowa

Tatum checked her phone after practice as everyone got ready to head out. They were all still on a high, gushing about the puppies that had stopped by for a visit, reminiscing over the fact that Caitlin had been practically tackled by some of them on the floor. It had easily been the best thing about their day.

She listened to them as she surveyed the notifications on her screen and smiled faintly.

Caitlin saw this and jumped at the opportunity to bully her. "Ooh, whatch'ya smiling at your phone for? Did you get a text from Ian?"