FIVE. emotional ghosting

halloween— tuesday, october 31st, 2023:
iowa city, iowa

Throughout the entire day, it had totally slipped Tatum's mind that it was Halloween.

That was until she got home from her mandatory meeting for her membership in the Tippie College of Business Honors Society. Most of the time if she had a game or scheduling conflict, there was leniency and since she was a student athlete that often was the case for her.

She had entered her apartment, expecting it to be as dark as it because she knew Jada was still not going to be home for a little while. She was all the more thrilled she'd be able to relax from a long day with the apartment all to herself.

But as she turned the light on, she was practically jumped from both sides. For a moment, she didn't know what was happening. She shrieked as someone in a gorilla costume shot up from where they crouched on the ground, while another figure in a pig mask scared her from the other direction. All she had managed to register was a complete blur as a rush of pure fear ran its course throughout her entire body.

Her heart pounded loudly in her chest as she recovered from her bout of terror, clutching onto the nearest thing possible for a sense of support.

She was able to recognize the stature of the two that scared her. Her eyes left their cackling laughter and found Kylie, absolutely laughing her ass off and having recorded it all.

"Oh my God." Tatum shook her head, a hand still over her heart as it continued to race. "Holy shit. I think my soul just left my body."

"Dude, we got you so good." said Caitlin. Her voice filtered through the pig mask that resided over a messy black wig. She clutched a fake axe in her hand for a scary, dramatic effect.

Feeling bad, Kate Martin pulled up her gorilla mask while she laughed and came over to give Tatum a warm hug, bundling her up in her arms.

"You aren't hugging your way out of this one, you know," Tatum huffed. Why was her heart still beating so fast?

"Happy Halloween?" She tried to say rather sweetly.

"Whatever. You're lucky I'm letting you leave here alive."

"By the way, is Jada here?" came the sound of Caitlin's voice slightly muffled by the mask still covering her face.

"No," Tatum told them. She gave a slight roll of her eyes before knowingly saying, "I'll text you when she gets home though."

"Yes!" Caitlin cheered. "Okay guys, let's go scare Sydney next."

Kylie eagerly agreed and as they began to leave, Kate was quick to squeeze Tatum's shoulder as she passed. "Thank you, you're the best."

"Yeah, we'd be lost without you, Tatum," Caitlin called back to her while snickering, pointing at her like they were in a basketball game and she had just given her an assist.

"Just go scare Sydney."

"This is so funny." Kylie giggled as they let the door close behind them. "I'm so excited."

XOX

thursday, november 9th, 2023:
charlotte, north carolina
hawkeyes vs. hokies

Tatum hadn't been in a lot during the game against Virginia Tech. But once she did go in, she was making plays for the team and was instantly a great help.

It's safe to say that it didn't go unnoticed how much her presence had begun to benefit her team on the court.

They were headed to their bench for a timeout when she first heard her bout of feedback.