Born in the USA - Chapter 7

Late Sunday night, June 7th, 1992, Milwaukee Suburbs

Jake crossed the room, his eyes drawn to the old wooden box. He ran his fingers along its worn, grained wood, a familiar comfort. Carefully, he lifted it and placed it on the credenza by the dresser. The little number-combination lock made him wonder - had anyone changed the combination? Tilting the box, he noticed a single word penciled on the new wooden bottom: "Home." A smile grew on his face as he carefully spun the dials to 6-0-2, the area code of his home in Arizona. It soon made a satisfying click as the lock was released. Lifting the lid, a musty scent greeted him, along with a sight that always tugged at his heart. Inside, three sets of initials were carved into the lid: A.S. for his grandfather, Alvin; P.S. for his father, Paul; and his own, J.S., proudly etched on his 12th birthday. One day, this heirloom would be passed on to his own eldest child.

The box had been a gift from Jake's great-grandfather, George, to Alvin on his 15th birthday in 1936. Inside, George had placed his WWI victory medal and dog tags, a crisp $20 bill, and the inspection card from Ellis Island, a memento of his own father, Charles Stanton's, arrival in America from Ireland with his family in 1887. Alvin kept these treasures safe, passing the box on to his son, Paul, when he turned 12. Paul added his own keepsakes: his Purple Heart and dog tags, and a letter Lucy had written while he was overseas. The box became Paul's prized possession, holding his most cherished teenage mementos - his Willie Mays rookie card, his Eagle Scout pin, and a ticket from the 1958 World Series.

When Paul left for college, the box was placed in the old iron safe downstairs in the old family home. The summer Jake turned 12, his father and grandfather sat him down, shared their family history, and entrusted him with the box. Alvin watched with emotion as Jake carved his initials onto the lid. Two years later, concerned about the deteriorating wood, Jake decided to take action. At 14, he rebuilt the bottom, adding a clever secret compartment with a special groove that allowed for access. This hidden space became the new home for his prized Willie Mays and Hank Aaron rookie cards, a gift from his father.

Gazing into the box, memories flooded Jake's mind. He wondered what treasures he would add for his future children. Carefully, he selected his small pocket knife and located the hidden groove. The false bottom popped open, revealing his rookie cards. He tucked them back in and secured the hidden compartment before placing the box back on the dresser. Climbing into bed, Jake stared at the ceiling, his heart heavy with questions. His family's legacy was rich and inspiring. 

He'd grown up with stories of his great-great-grandfather and his family selling everything, including their farm in Donegal, to secure passage to America. He'd heard tales of the journey and the struggle to survive in New York, before heading west and settling in Wisconsin. He knew the stories of his great-grandfather in World War I and his grandfather in World War II. The Purple Heart he earned for saving two of his fellow soldiers in Germany, a sacrifice that cost him part of his left foot. Yet, his grandfather always said a life saved was worth any price. He knew his parents met in college around the time his grandfather was starting a new mining venture with two partners north of town. His parents had poured their lives into the business, and his childhood photos documented his many toddler years in the family office. And a decade-plus later their hard work had paid off handsomely.

But where did Jake fit in? This was 1992, and a momentous July celebration loomed. It marked 100 years since the first Stanton was born on American soil - his great-grandfather, George, when they celebrated what would have been his 100th birthday. With such a legacy and footsteps cast before him, what would Jake leave behind? These thoughts swirled in his mind as he drifted off to sleep.

-