Tom's Diner - Chapter 13

Wednesday Morning, June 10th, 1992,  Milwaukee Suburbs

Jake woke up in high spirits and rummaged through his closet, picking out an outfit for the day. His trusty Reeboks were ready for some walking, and a faded Nirvana t-shirt with jeans seemed like a good choice. As he went downstairs, he bumped into Gram, who was bringing laundry up from the basement.

"You seem quite cheerful today," she commented.

He smiled back. "Well, yeah. It's going to be an awesome day."

"What time do you think you'll be heading out this morning?" Gram asked.

"Probably around 10," said Jake.

"Well, it's barely 8. Your grandfather is out on the back porch. You should have a cup of coffee with him," she suggested.

"That sounds good," said Jake as he poured a cup of coffee and grabbed some breakfast before he headed out to the screened-in porch.

"Morning, Grandpa," he greeted as he sat down with coffee and a bowl of Cheerios.

"Morning, Jake," replied Alvin. "It's beautiful out today."

"That it is," said Jake. "So Gram said you wanted to talk with me."

"I did," said Alvin. "Now, I'm glad you're up here for the summer and came to help with the cottage. And I'm open to the idea of you being there by yourself as you're nearly 18. But I have a favor to ask of you."

"Sure, of course," said Jake without even thinking much about it.

Alvin smiled. "I was pretty sure that's what you would say. Now, if you're going to be out there, I'm going to let you drive the old Oldsmobile. That way, I don't have to tie up a car, and your grandmother very much likes her Mercury."

"Does it still run?" asked Jake, questioning.

"Yes, it does," replied Alvin. "I had it in the shop this spring, and it's running fine. It just needs a little extra attention from time to time, and you have to know when not to overpush it. Kind of like your grandma," he chuckled.

Jake nearly spit his coffee. "I gotcha, Grandpa," he said with a broad grin. "

"Now, here's the other half of the bargain," continued Alvin. "I'm not worried about you trashing the place or throwing wild parties, as your Aunt would have your hide tacked to the wall, but I do want you to do one thing. Every Thursday, I want you to go and spend the day with your Aunt Edith."

"Okay," said Jake. "I should be fine doing that. I like Aunt Edith. I think she likes me."

"Well, Jake, there's one thing you'll never have to worry about with Edith," said Alvin, rolling his eyes. "In all her life, she's never had an issue with holding her tongue... Ever."

Jake nodded knowing his Aunt all too well, "I'll head over there tomorrow, around what time?"

"She'll be expecting you around quarter to 10. Please be on time," reminded Alvin.

"Oh, I will be," said Jake.

"Be careful; she's almost 96. She can't see super well, and she'll be moving slow, but her mind and wit are sharp as a tack," warned Alvin.

"You got it, Grandpa," said Jake.

"Wonderful," said Alvin. "Your grandmother and Aunt will be quite pleased with you helping. And I'll see if I can get the women to let you stay out at the lake starting this weekend. But I need to see real work done, or this will end."

"It will be," assured Jake. "Is Uncle Ron gonna come out also? The roof I know I'll need help with."

"Oh yeah, there will be a few workdays on the weekends where we'll have a bunch of people out," Alvin said. "I'll see if I can get one set for this Saturday or Sunday afternoon. That way, your Aunt Evelyn can give you a rundown of everything at the cottage and some specifics about staying there. She has a list or two waiting for you, I guarantee it." He grinned at Jake.