Lost Direction

Sunghoon's sense of direction was not the best.

That's to say, he was utterly and completely lost. Well, not entirely lost, he knew how to go back, possibly, but he had lost Jay and this had been his second attempt at following him. Frustration got the best of him, Sunghoon didn't even want to go back knowing he'd lost Jay again. It was fucking embarrassing. Also, and even if he may not have known where Jay was exactly, they were dangerously close to humans. The water was shallow and he knew that if he swam any closer to the shore, he would risk getting stuck or spotted by humans. To be fair, the surface seemed pretty vacant and the beach was too rocky for humans, as far as Sunghoon was aware, but it was still unsafe for them.

Sulking, he stopped trying to find Jay; he'd have given up entirely a couple of minutes ago, but his pride told him to keep looking. Accepting defeat for a second time was bitter, but he could always try again the next time Jay decided to sneak off to god knew where. He turned to swim back home when he realised he was, possibly, more lost than he originally thought. Okay, yeah, he had no idea where he was or how to go back, he hadn't got this far the previous day while following Jay. He'd never got this close to the beach before, it terrified him.

In the end, he decided to do a one-eighty from where he was going and hoped for the best. He'd end up somewhere familiar at some point if he just swam away from the beach. At least, he was counting on that. It was solely on luck that Sunghoon managed to get back to his place, his parents weren't even worried about him even if he had disappeared for a good couple of hours. They had assumed he'd been with Jake or Jay the entire time, which wasn't completely wrong, but it also wasn't the truth. Well, it was better if they believed that, so Sunghoon chose to not correct them.

The next day, Jay didn't go anywhere. For a moment, Sunghoon worried Jay had realised he was following him, but he didn't mention anything about it. Knowing Jay as he did, Sunghoon knew he would confront him if he had discovered him. Now, not only had Jay not mentioned anything, he was still acting completely normal; he continued acting like he wasn't hiding something from the rest of them.

Sunghoon tried to come up with different hypotheses as to what Jay may be hiding. First, he considered that it was something closer to the shore. Close to humans, Sunghoon corrected himself. While he didn't know if any humans lived close to the shore, he'd heard about a town not far from it, so it was very likely that humans just lived there as well. Jay had always been pretty defensive of humans, so it wouldn't be ridiculous to assume Jay was observing them. Maybe he was trying to come up with proof that they weren't as bad as the tales said. Sunghoon believed Jay was stubborn enough to do something that reckless. If he were honest, there was little else he thought could be hidden by Jay. There was little else he thought Jay would intentionally hide from them.

After two full days of just thinking, Sunghoon finally had the chance to follow Jay again. It sounded terrible, he knew, but he swore he wasn't insane yet. He was just really curious and could not mind his own business.

As already established, his sense of direction wasn't the best, and apparently neither were his stalking skills. Honestly, it was ridiculously frustrating how he managed to lose Jay a third time. He could have sworn he was better at following others than this, how did he manage to lose Jay? Jay, out of everyone, with his stupidly colourful red tail? He was unmissable most of the time, and yet Sunghoon had failed to figure out where he was going thrice in a row.

He'd ended up in the same place as the previous time, not even managing to get any further or closer to wherever Jay was. He was so frustrated he swam up to the surface in a desperate attempt to see if he could catch Jay over the water. Seriously, by then, if he couldn't see Jay under the water, maybe he'd spot him from the surface. His idea may not have been the most logical, but he had to try something, anything. He refused to admit defeat that easily this time.