Betrayal... for a second

Sunghoon could not wait for the sun to reach the very centre of the sky so he could go meet Heeseung. He hadn’t seen Jay all morning, but he knew he was with Jungwon. By then, he’d memorised when they met, mostly because he’d sometimes go with him. Truthfully, he hadn’t seen Jake either, but considering he’d spent most of the morning with Minjeong at his parents’ request, he wasn’t that concerned. Regrettably, he hadn’t been able to tell his parents about ending the mating plans. Though, it’d be quite inaccurate to state it in such a way, he was simply a coward. 

There was no way they’d accept it without an explanation, and he wasn’t ready to tell them about Heeseung yet. 

He’d been casually chatting with Minjeong, she was nice after all and they’d grown closer after he told her about Heeseung, when Jake swam frantically at them. Now, normally Jake could be a little clumsy, but never to this level. He’d never swam so fast towards him that he’d end up crashing onto Sunghoon. Never without intention, that was, and this was very clearly an accident.

Jake had taken them both completely by surprise, startling Minjeong and almost knocking Sunghoon out. The shock and force had been so great, that Sunghoon was disoriented for several seconds after Jake managed to stabilise them. While Sunghoon was trying to get his brain to work properly again, Jake was speaking at an insane speed, way too fast for Sunghoon to even attempt to guess what the issue was. The look on Minjeong’s face told Sunghoon that even with proper understanding of Jake’s words, he would not be able to follow him. To be honest, Minjeong looked freaked out by Jake. 

“Wait, hold on,” Sunghoon put his hands on Jake’s shoulders to try and calm him down. “You put my brain out of commission for a second there, start over— slowly.” He instructed Jake once he’d stopped screaming. 

“I saw Jay,” Jake started, anxiously rubbing his hands. “I saw Jay and he was with a human—” He cut himself off when he remembered Minjeong was there as well.

“Don’t worry!” She immediately put up her hands. “I won’t tell anyone,” she reassured Jake, and Sunghoon nodded.

“She knows about Heeseung, too, just— calm down, you saw him… did you go up to the surface?” Sunghoon helped Jake stay on track. Jake shook his head.

“They were underwater… it was close to the shore, but still,” Jake clarified. “Sunghoon, he was kissing the human,” Jake sounded like he had seen the craziest thing ever in his life; meanwhile, Minjeong made a delighted sound, as if she had received great news. This only reminded Sunghoon that he hadn’t told Jake about Heeseung, not completely. While Jake was aware of Heeseung’s existence, he’d been left off with the impression that Sunghoon didn’t know what he wanted with Heeseung. That couldn’t be further from the truth.  

“Listen, Jake, I know this seems bad…” Sunghoon was raking his brain to find the best way to tell Jake everything. At the point, it’d be useless to even attempt to hide Jungwon from him. 

“You knew?” Jake felt betrayed and he let it know through his tone of voice.

“I— Yes, I knew, but I couldn’t tell you!” Sunghoon defended himself. “It’s Jay’s relationship, I couldn’t just tell you about it, I found out by accident…”

“Sure, but you could have told Jay to tell me,” Jake crossed his arms in disappointment. “You told me about Heeseung, even if it’s not the same, I would have understood…”

“You can’t force him to reveal something he’s not ready to share yet, it’s not fair and it’s none of our business,” Sunghoon chose to defend Jay as well. He’d caused enough problems when he followed him and when he discovered everything. This time, he’d try to see it from his perspective.