III. Pokerface

❝ ᴀ ᴍᴀɴ ɪɴ ᴀ ɢᴏʟᴅᴇɴ ꜱᴜɪᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴀʀᴍᴏᴜʀ. ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ɪᴛ ᴏꜰꜰ; ɪ ᴡᴏɴᴅᴇʀ ᴡʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀɴᴇᴀᴛʜ? ❞

《♤♡♧◇》

"Are you going to keep staring or actually getting a drink? This casino's all about efficiency. You of all people should know that," [Name] said, back turned. Their fingers moved deftly to pull out the remainder of their tie from Sylvester's aggression at the table, pulling the red fabric neatly into a new loop. "If you aren't ordering, move. There's money to be made here."

[Name] had returned to the bar to cater to patrons after a short talk that they hoped would remedy the tension between the both of them – a hole that [Name] had unintentionally dug, shovelled another six foot in, and then buried themself in. They had been intrigued at the start with Aventurine, curious as to why he found himself in their turf one seemingly random Friday night, but interest had quickly soured to bitter resentment when he had stepped in for the game.

Correction: interfered.

Even if not for the fact they were inebriated on acrimony, they had been planning on treating the gambler like an equal, or even lesser. Status didn't matter to them. You were who you were, in or out of the casinos. And Aventurine? He was simply an ordinary person with a little more dexterity and charisma about him than the average man once torn away from the security of his throne in Vegas. That was how [Name] decided how to think of him – and everybody else, for that matter. Today hardly bucked their impression of him. There was no point in feeling inferior to others, but sometimes they truly believed there were things that were below them.

Just another meretricious man who got lucky – apparently attractive, but having no real value at all. Everybody was waiting for him to fall, and [Name] was no different.

"I was waiting for you to initiate things, since you were so keen on making the first move back then." Aventurine's voice was almost shrill – far too cavalier and jovial for the waning night. It was most definitely a front, but [Name] didn't fall for such beguiling charm.

"Some people have to work, you know. Only you get to sit around on your ass and look pretty all day and not pay the price of it." [Name] adjusted their waistcoat and turned back to face him.

As tempting as it was to simply ignore the man, business was booming – another seat taken at the bar was synonymous with profit. Bad reviews also did [Name]'s head in, and they knew Aventurine was petty enough to leave one now that they were back to being a regular bartender. Off-shift, they didn't need to maintain a professionalism that the workplace required – not that this casino needed professionalism, but here they were anyway, putting up with every drunkard who came to knock themselves out and drown out the sorrows of losing a hefty bet.

They practically knew every little thing there was to know about everyone who frequented the place. Drunk people have loose tongues, and it served [Name] well to take mental notes. The dealer they had talked to before: a subtle and skilled card sharp with a huge network of dealings with crime groups. Acheron, an elusive and deadly woman, but hailing from a past so dark it was difficult to comprehend how she was still alive and well. They were just glad they were on good terms. Sylvester, a dangerous mafioso and – well, the entire company in the casino tonight knew what he was up to now.

A shame that he wouldn't be paying them any more money. He was always quite generous with his bribes, and [Name] had no intention of spilling his little secret from the start – always a silent observer until the moment was right. Money in return for a silence that was always going to be kept – nugatory, but much obliged.