I Came Across Something Disturbing

His body stood upright, with his skin sloughed around his feet like a melted candle. His skull, bloody and slightly caved in, was positioned towards the door as if he had been expecting us.

We were small-town cops, the kind who chased away stoned teens from abandoned barns or busted house parties full of underage drinkers. We, at least I, have never come across something like this.

We got the mid-day call about a trespasser in some dilapidated farm building. The caller said they could see him through the window, just standing there. Said there was something wrong with him. Naturally, we thought it'd be a homeless person or a runaway teen. Nothing could have prepared me for the gorey sight before us.

"Good god," said Officer Park, pulling out his radio to call for backup.

I was speechless as I stared directly into its eyes. They were still intact, making the sight ever more eerie. My first thought was an animal got to him, but I knew better. This thing, a conglomerate of rotting meat barely hanging on the bone, was not the result of an animal attack.

"You think a person did this?" I said, averting my gaze from the corpse.

I looked at Officer Park, my partner in what was supposed to be a routine patrol down to an old barn. He had called for backup and was now inspecting the body, being sure not to contaminate any evidence.

"Sure wasn't an animal," He responded, "the poor fool was placed on a stake."

He was right. The body was displayed on a tall stake that entered through his back and out the back of his neck. He was placed there like a piece of meat on a kabob.

Backup arrived shortly, and three officers rushed into the building. One of them exited promptly as he gagged at the sight and smell. I hadn't noticed the stench at first, but it was undeniable—it was sulfur.