-Prologue-

That faithful day can be remembered as if it were yesterday. A rainy and cloudy day of May 2014, in the busy streets of San Francisco, United States.

Akane Yashiro, age 18 years old and studying abroad from the country of Japan, was traveling alongside her class group in a hurry. Due to the local news report, and the evacuation order given to the citizens of San Francisco, she wasn't the only one in a hurry. Thousands of people were doing their best to get to the routes of evacuation to leave the city as quickly as possible. The only large problem was that there was the obvious traffic due to congestion, accidents, and other factors that were unknown. Despite the assurance from officers and soldiers saying that everything will be alright, and that they needed to hurry, it didn't help Akane to calm down a single bit.

"This is so exciting! Can you believe that those things are out there and heading our way? It's like all of a sudden aliens are real!" One of Akane's friends said with excitement and glee as all other students were seated in the bus and chatting. "I don't know how to feel about that. What they said about them interfering with electronics is concerning to me. No more internet or cell phone connection" another boy said in a tragic manner. "All I want to do is get out from this place as quickly and far away as possible." Akane said in response. "Come on. If we are lucky, we can watch from afar how the military deals with those monsters and defeats them! Just like in the monster movies. You know, from your county." Akane's class friend from San Francisco, Eleanor Morgan, said to her as she nudged her shoulder with a hand. "Those are just science fiction movies, not real life. And besides, those creatures don't look similar to the ones in those movies." Akane said to her close friend. "Come on, I know a resemblance to kaiju movies when I see one. Tell you what; once this is over, and we get together in a sleepover, we can watch how the battle was won and compare it to those kaiju movies. How does that sound, Akane-san?" Eleanor proposed in a happy go-lucky way.

Akane sighed a bit, knowing that there was nothing that could change her best friend's mind once she was set on something. And, to be honest, she kind of liked that from her American friend, as it has helped her overcome some of her shyness at the beginning of the semester. "Alright then. I accept your proposal, Morgan-senpai" Akane said, smiling a bit as she gave in. Eleanor smiled brightly and gave a squeal of excitement as she hugged her friend. "You won't regret it. I can promise you that" she said, making Akane feel better due to the promise that her friend has made. And who would say no to that kind of energetic friend who has helped her overcome many obstacles and worries? Akane really felt lucky to have made friends in San Francisco, away from home and knowing that she would make her parents proud. Her mother would be very happy for her, as well as her father that encouraged Akane to study and specialize in a specific study. So yes; once this was all over, she could return to her normal life and move forwards into the next chapter in life.

* * *

Hours seemed to pass as they waited for the traffic and congestion to loosen up or advance all of a sudden. Yet it only froze on a place with no signs of progress. And they weren't even out from the city, rather in the middle of it. The rain continued to pour down upon the buildings and some citizens out of their cars as they waited for the traffic to advance. From the looks of it, the traffic wasn't going to advance, and Akane was nervous that something may have happened. Was it because the monster had arrived to the city earlier than expected? Did something else happen and they would have to be stuck here when the creature arrives? Akane was on edge as she watched the skies outside from the bus window of her seat. Eleanor seemed to sense the discomfort from her friend, and got her attention. "You doing okay?" Eleanor asked, to which Akane nodded. "Just...worried if we will ever make it out" Akane said, to which Eleanor nodded. "I get you. I'm worried too. But, want to know what makes me feel safe?" Eleanor said, making Akane shake her head in question. "It's you! No matter where we go, nothing can separate us" Eleanor said, hugging Akane with an arm. Akane exhaled and smiled, happy that her friend was optimistic and that her courage helped Akane feel more confident and calm.