Chapter Sixteen

Sophie stood outside Peter's door, her heart pounding in her chest. She raised her hand to knock, then hesitated, biting her lip. What if he was busy? What if he did not want to be disturbed? She had promised Lady Emily that she would speak to him about Captain Smythe, but now that she was here, she found herself second-guessing the wisdom of that promise.

Still, she had given her word, and she was determined to keep it. Taking a deep breath, Sophie rapped gently on the door, her knuckles barely grazing the polished wood.

There was a moment of silence, and then the sound of footsteps approached. The door swung open, revealing her husband his brow furrowed in confusion. "My lady? Is everything alright?"

Sophie swallowed hard, her mouth suddenly dry. "I'm sorry to disturb you, my lord," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "I was hoping we could speak for a moment, if you have the time."

Peter's expression softened, and he stepped back, gesturing for her to enter. "Of course. Please, come in."

Sophie stepped into the room, her eyes darting around nervously. She had never been in Peter's private chambers before, and the intimacy of the space made her feel strangely vulnerable.

Peter closed the door behind her and turned to face her, his eyes searching her face. "What's on your mind?"

Sophie took a deep breath, steeling herself. "It's about Lady Emily," she began, her words coming out in a rush. "She's asked me to speak to you on her behalf, about Captain Smythe."

Sophie watched as Peter's eyes widened in surprise at her words. He leaned back against the wall, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Emily put you up to this, did she?" he asked, a hint of amusement in his voice.

Sophie nodded, feeling a blush creep up her cheeks. "She did, my lord. I apologise if I've overstepped, but she seemed quite desperate for me to speak with you on the matter."

To her surprise, Peter chuckled softly. "That sounds like Emily. She's always been quite persuasive when she sets her mind to something."

Sophie felt a flicker of relief at his reaction. Perhaps this conversation wouldn't be as difficult as she had feared.

"I understand your frustration, my lord," she said carefully. "But Emily seems quite fond of Captain Smythe. She speaks of him often and with great affection."

Peter sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I know. And truthfully, I've always been in favour of the match myself."

Sophie blinked in surprise. "You have?"

He nodded. "Captain Smythe is a good man, and he clearly cares for Emily a great deal. I have no objections to their union."

Sophie felt a rush of relief wash over her. She had been prepared for a battle, but it seemed that Peter was more amenable to the idea than she had anticipated.

"That's wonderful news, my lord," she said, a smile spreading across her face. "Emily will be thrilled to hear it."

Peter returned her smile, his eyes softening. "I'm glad you came to me with this, Sophie. I know it couldn't have been easy for you, but I appreciate your fortitude in doing so."

Sophie ducked her head, feeling a warmth spread through her chest at his words. "Thank you, my lord. I only want what's best for Emily."

A wry smile flashed briefly across his face, before settling back into its usual stoicism. "As do I," he said. Lord Markham's hand rose to stroke his elegant jaw. His elegant fingers betrayed his refined bearing, even in so subtle a gesture. "Tell me, my lady, what are your plans for this morning?"