Poetry: How Ted Hughes has compared the creatures to the flower in Snowdrop

0475 Literature in English, Thursday, 11/1/2024, Poetry

In the poem 'Snowdrop', the poet intricately compares various creatures to the snowdrop in several ways.

Firstly, the poet compares the globe's tight shrikage around the mouse's wintering heart to the delicate and compact nature of the snowdrop. This comparison emphasises on the constriction and isolation experienced by the creatures in this harsh winter environment. Thesnowdrop's small and tightly wrapped petals, becomes a symbolic representation of the creatures' confined existience within the cold and unforgiving world.

Secondly, the poet describes the weasel and crow using the simile "as if moulded in brass", which draws our attention to the creatures' rigid and unyielding nature. This comparison to brass suggests hardness and resilience, however this is juxtaposed by the fact that these creatures hide away from the bitter weather. In contrary, the snowdrop's 'head' is described as "heavy as metal", in which one may presume that it is dead, This is, however, once again juxtaposed by the fact that snowdrops bloom in winter and are resilient to the harsh cold.

Thirdly, the poet draws a parallel between the weasel, crow and the snowdrop by describing the former as "not in their right minds". This phrase suggests a sense of disorientation or madness, echoing the brutal and unpredictable nature of winter. Similarly, the snowdrop's delicate appearance and vulerability may be interpreted as a reflection of the creatures' precarious mental state, emphasising the harsh conditions they face and the primal instincts that drive them.

In conclusion, the poet skullfully employs the imagery of the snowdrop to weave a complex web of comparisons with the creatures in the poem. Through the use of poetic devices, the poet invites readers to explore the nuances of the creatures' existence, shedding light on their physical, emotional and psychological attributes within the wintery landscape.

:

My teacher's comments:

- Relate the introduction to the question

- Good, but where is the appreciation? (of the poet)

:

My thoughts

- This one's alright, but the intro + conclusion deifinately needs work