6.

Chapter Six: 

.
.

Billy Kimber is dead within the week. 

The news reverberates through the darkened alleys and smoke-filled rooms of Small Heath, casting a veil of uncertainty over the criminal underworld. It acts as a catalyst, propelling Tommy into a new era where he can carve his name into the very fabric of the city he calls home.

As the weight of victory settles upon him, Tommy finds himself immersed in a moment of triumph, mentally removing Billy Kimber from his metaphorical chessboard. His passing signals a turning point, a pivotal moment where alliances shift, and ambitions clash. It’s a dangerous game, standing at the helm of the treacherous waters of Birmingham’s landscape, one where loyalties can be bought and betrayal lurks in the shadows. But Tommy has always thrived in the face of adversity, his determination forged in the fires of past battles. 

With the Shelby family now holding a legitimate working licence, their fortunes multiply, and money flows abundantly. Countless paths stretch out before them, beckoning with opportunities waiting to be seized.

However, Tommy's attention turns to a pressing matter that demands resolution; the simmering conflict between the Shelby family and the Lee clan. It is a challenge that cannot be ignored, but Tommy, ever the strategic thinker, has already devised a swift and calculated fix.

The weather, cloudy yet with a hint of sunshine, seems as good as it will get. It's a day that Tommy deems suitable for a wedding, devoid of wind and filled with a peculiar ambiance.

"Have a drink," Arthur offers, extending his flask to John, who accepts it gratefully, taking a long, satisfying sip.

"What?" John questions, a perplexed frown creasing his brow as he hands the flask back to Arthur. He scans the faces of his family and friends, noticing their watchful gazes fixed upon him. "Why is everyone staring at me?"

Tommy assesses John's appearance, deeming him presentable enough for the occasion. "Good," he declares crisply, pivoting on his heel. "Let's go."

"What?" John furrows his brow further, trailing after Tommy, but refrains from repeating his question when it goes unanswered.

Tommy takes the lead, flanked by Arthur at his side, while John walks behind them, encircled by their group of men as they ascend the cobblestone hill toward the Lee campsite. 

"Tommy, what game are you playing?" John whispers as he notices a few guards casting cautious glances in their direction. "We're within shotgun range," he warns in a hushed tone.

Tommy halts momentarily, hoping to conceal the amusement dancing in his eyes as he turns to face his younger brother. "John, before you enter into battle, there's something you’re going to need," he remarks cryptically.

He pulls out a small, white flower from within his coat pocket and pins it to John's suit jacket, ensuring it is in place. 

John's frown deepens, his frustration evident. "What in bloody hell are you doing, Tommy?"

"Smile, John," Tommy advises, patting him consolingly on the shoulder. Around them, Arthur and their comrades affix identical flowers to their own attire. "It's a wedding.”

"Whose bloody wedding?" John demands, his patience waning.

Tommy's smile widens, his amusement slipping through. "Now, if we had told you, you wouldn't have come," he explains. "There's a young lady in the Lee family who has become quite wild, and she is in need of a husband."

Immediately, John tries to break free, his anger flaring. He looks as mad as ever, but Tommy swiftly catches his face between his palms, while Arthur secures a firm grip on John's nape, preventing escape.