11.

Chapter Eleven: 

.
.

The day of Ada's wedding has arrived, and the sacred walls of the church reverberate with a sense of solemnity and anticipation. The pews are filled with family, friends, and well-wishers, their presence lending an air of reverence to the momentous occasion. Sunlight streams through stained glass windows, casting colourful patterns on the polished wooden floors.

Inside the church, the altar is adorned with fragrant bouquets of flowers, their sweet aroma mingling with the faint scent of incense. Candles flicker softly, casting a warm glow that illuminates the church. The sound of soft organ music fills the air, its melodic notes weaving a tapestry of serenity and celebration.

Ada's last-minute bridesmaids, Esme, Anya, and Grace (the garrison barmaid) stand in a line near the altar, their soft green elegant gowns flowing gracefully around them. Their eyes are fixed on the grand entrance, brimming with excitement and anticipation. Each of them holds a bouquet of delicate blossoms, their colours perfectly complementing the bridal theme. 

Across from them, Freddie fixes his cufflinks, his nerves evident. The weight of the occasion rests upon his shoulders, and he casts occasional glances toward the entrance, eagerly awaiting Ada's arrival.

Tommy stands with his hands clasped behind his back in the first pew, his gaze sweeping across the church. His blue eyes search for Nine, his restlessness plain and evident. 

John and Arthur, dressed impeccably in their tailored suits, stand beside Tommy. They exchange a knowing glance, observing Tommy's subtle fidgeting, his fingers absently toying with the red bracelet hidden behind his back.

It doesn't take long before Arthur leans in closer to Tommy, his voice hushed. "He's here," he murmurs, his words intended only for Tommy's ears.

Tommy feigns ignorance, raising an eyebrow. "Who is?" he asks. His pulse trips all over itself, betraying him.

"Nine," John replies, a mischievous glint in his eyes, having overheard Arthur. "And his son."

Tommy bites down on the inside of his cheek, trying to contain his emotions. His heart, much to his dismay, pounds fiercely within his chest. He subtly glances behind him, and there, as if on cue, stands Nine, with his imposing stature and stormy eyes. He leads his son forward, their steps steady and purposeful, to the saved spots behind Tommy and his brothers.

As they draw closer, Tommy studies Nine's son intently, noting the striking resemblance between father and child. They share the same dark hair, slightly tanned skin, and piercing grey eyes that the young boy fearlessly directs towards Tommy, openly glaring at him. 

Tommy is unable to suppress a smile. 

Like father, like son, as the saying goes.

"Better late than never," Arthur comments, straightening his posture.

Nine offers a somewhat apologetic look. "Had to make sure D'mitry wouldn't be devoured by my dogs just before I left," he mutters, his low voice causing Tommy's stomach to flutter nervously.

John chuckles. "Your conman's still causing trouble, then?"

"Not for much longer," Nine replies with disdain, catching Anya's gaze from the front of the church. He smiles at her and adds under his breath, "I dream of the day she becomes disgusted with D'mitry."

"Don't we all," Arthur sighs wistfully, earning glares from both Nine and his son.

John snorts, stifling the sound with his fist. "You're going to get yourself killed," he warns playfully.