39 - Drecca

Drecca and Lilith stayed behind for several reasons. But Drecca wishes that he could have gone. He wishes he could find her and protect her. Keep her safe from whatever horrors await her in Tempyria.

But no. For now, he must remain here with Lilith, and they both must make sure that their home is safe. Especially from any threats that may lurk within or without their palace walls.

However, no matter how much he'd prepared, Drecca could not have been prepared for the threat that found him that day.

As Drecca and Lilith work to keep up with the havoc of their lives now, as they work to try and ensure their home is safe, they both feel something off. Drecca stands up, looking around his study for any signs of disturbances. But he does not see anything. He senses it, just doesn't see it.

"Lilith? Do you sense something?" Drecca asks.

She nods. "I do, my Prince."

He begins to pace, searching with all of his senses for any signs of whoever it is. He tastes ozone and blood, and smells both those and steel. Silence greets him, and his vision tells him nothing. He feels it, though. It's drawing closer to him.

"Lilith," Drecca says. "Arms, to ready."

She draws her twin daggers, and flexes her wings. Drecca draws his sword, summoning his wings. He looks around the room, his magick flaring when he is struck from behind. Lilith shouts, and Drecca is flipped onto his back, his focus slipping, and his wings fading.

A massive beast, twice the size of a large horse and with flesh so dark it's shadow is snarling in his face. He stares up at its crystalline fangs, at its desperate red eyes. The beast unfurls four spindly, long wings, gouging deep wounds into Drecca's chest.

He screams in agony, feeling as though acid crawls through his veins. And maybe, it does. He senses Lilith pounce on top of the creature, stabbing its back over and over again. The monster tosses her off it, sending her crashing into the book shelf across the room.

Drecca pulls himself up, coming face to face with the dog-dragon thing. It howls loudly and leaps at him, all gnashing teeth and scraping claws. The Demon Prince unleashes a battle cry, slicing at the monster with his sword. But the sword just glides through flesh. And seconds later, the wound heals.

It isn't a werewolf, like Kieran. No, this thing somehow more dangerous than Kieran. He tries to decapitate the beast, but even then, the wound knits closed. But Drecca then remembers how to kill Kieran in his wolf form. He has to do that, but with this beast.

Cut off the head and bury it. While burning the body.

Drecca screams as the monster sinks its claws into his leg, ripping through his flesh. The pain is intense, and his eyes water. He brings the pommel of the sword down on the thing's skull, hearing a heavy and loud crack!

He blasts it with a plume of black flame, and he swears the monster just laughs. It paces before him, and he focuses all his power on this. He's going to shred the monster, he has to. There's no other choice.

The monster leaps at him. He summons all his power forward, and it barrels into the monster. The black energy tears through its body, and it screams. Drecca feels it burning every muscle, bone, sinew. He feels the monster burn alive.

But as it drops to the floor, and he slices the head off, he hears slow applause from behind him. Drecca whirls. He throws his knife, and the man in the doorway catches it, just an inch from his heart. The man smiles at Drecca.

Lilith finally stands up, her wings twitching as she heals them. She looks at the man, the demon, before the two of them. She then joins Drecca, standing by his side.

"Lilith. Prince Drecca."

"Donovan," Lilith growls.

"Hello, Father," says Drecca.