Ch 14 - Manticore Repentant

"Greetings, my people. Greetings, citizens of Quollo—citizens of Irmway. And indeed, greetings to those of you who hail from beyond our borders. For it seems there are far more of you now than when last I stood upon this dais and looked down upon such a grand gathering.

"Greetings, and also my thanks. Thank you for taking the time from your busy lives on this beautiful morning to congregate here in the city square, to hear the humble words that I, Prince Vazor Tau, have to say to you. Thank you also to the High Council, the august congregation of lords and ladies you see here gathered to my right, who served you all so faithfully in my absence. Now, now, that will do. There will be time to express your appreciation—or otherwise—later. And, perhaps most of all, thank you to the dragon, the dwarf and the elf standing to my left. It is to these intrepid three that you owe my presence here today. Not only for locating me—despite, I might add, my best efforts—but also for ensuring my safety. It was they who stood guard outside my chambers last evening, after my presence became known. And, to judge by their somewhat battered appearance, it would seem they had an eventful night.

"In any case, here I am. But the question, of course, is where have I been? Well, that is a long story. Too long, I'm afraid, to regale you with now. Suffice it to say I have travelled far and seen much. The important thing, from your point of view, is that I was not here. I was not here following the death of my mother, the wise and just Queen Marise, not here to don the Mane of Might, to be coronated with the Winged Crown and become the Manticore—to become your ruler, as generations of my forebears have done before me.

"Why? Why did I leave? Was it because I was selfish? Weak? Afraid? Yes, yes and yes. Hardly more than a boy, I was all of those things and more. So, was that why I left? Why I abandoned you, the good people of Irmway, in your hour of need? Perhaps. No doubt my inadequacies played their part. Whatever the reason, I'm all too aware my absence caused distress. That it led to suffering and unrest and strife. And I am truly sorry for that. I'm sorry for it all. And now that I have returned, I want you to tell me, good people of Irmway, how you have suffered. Tell me of the trouble to which my abdication led."

"That new gnome magic turned my husband into a toad!" came a disgruntled voice from several rows back in the crowd.

"That's terrible, ma'am. Perhaps—"

"And then not half an hour later, he bloody well turned right back again," continued the voice. "What kind of crap magic is that?"

"Uh—"

"What do you expect if you only fork out for the C-grade stuff, love?" From her position perched atop a street sign, Bex shaded her eyes and tried to find the source of the voice. "Bloody cheapskate!"

"Perhaps—"

"You think that's bad?" interrupted the cultured voice of an elderly man in Irmish livery, standing in the front row. "I was forced to endure"—there was a catch in his voice—"the deliberate smudging of silverware. That kind of thing never went on in back in Queen Marise's day."

"Well, that doesn't—"

"Don't you worry, Prigglesworth, I'm on to it, mate." This came from a large ogre dressed in smart business attire, towering over his neighbours at the back of the crowd. "Lord Hirschnopple can't dodge me forever."

"I—"

"Damn it, you were supposed take care of that wetched oaf!" From his position at the front of the High Councillors, Lord Hirschnopple stamped his foot and shook his fist at Blompo, who was standing off to one side, with Barderim fluttering around his head—or, more specifically, at the goblin wedged under the big troll's arm. "You are a tewwible assassin. I demand a wefund!"