[36] 三十六

There is a point when nightmares seem better than reality. Where the infinite unpredictability of human nature leaves you unable to function. At least in my nightmares, I knew I would watch Ryuzo slip away in my arms, wake up crying and bereft the same way every time. But reality became so much worse.

Two weeks had passed and Dulce was still swearing the offer letter was about to come through. I knew the paperwork would take longer than she expected because of the multitude of hurdles when hiring someone on the FBI's shit list. Part of me knew I would still reject the offer once it came through, but I was trying to listen to my intuition. It was telling me to stay, and I didn't know why.

Ori came nonchalantly down the hall the way he always did throughout the day, hoping to catch me when I was alone. He acted as if we hadn't spent half of the week together already. This time, he lingered by the desk, giving me "I need to talk to you" eyes.

A fellow RN sat beside me, squinting at the screen in front of her. She left her glasses. I had known since she first sat down.

"I bet they're in the break room," I said to her.

She looked at me with confusion. "What?"

"Your glasses. The code came right after you went for a break. You didn't have them on in the room, so maybe you set them down when you ran out."

Her confusion shifted to contemplation. "You're right. Thank you!" She stood and left for the break room. I grinned at Ori to invite him over.

"What's up, chief resident, who I don't know personally?" I greeted him.

"Hi. I have only met you once before, but do you want to be naughty this evening and go to the crepe place again?"

His playfulness was disarming. "You dirty boy."

"Bananas and Nutella could be interesting in a different context as well, but for now, I want them wrapped in sweet carbohydrates."

Same. "Well, I'll have to check my schedule. My social calendar is very packed."

We exchanged a smirk. Neither of us had other friends in this city, but even if we did, we had spent most of our overlapping free time together. I watched every move he made, the same as everyone else. He was exactly the same person he was in Japan, all the qualities that made us become so close so quickly. When my offer came through, I would have to tell my handler, and maybe then, would ask to have him checked out specifically. If I changed my mind about staying.

"Meet you at the station?" I told him.

The sheepish smile twisted his lips. "Bananas and Nutella."

"Bananas and Nutella."

"It's here!" Dulce's voice made us both jump. She walked over to the desk, not seeming to acknowledge the familiarity of my conversation with Ori, or the way he slinked away. "The offer will be in your inbox by tonight. Let us know soon, will you?"

"Of course," I told her with a smile I didn't believe.

. . .

When I made it to my apartment that night, everything was wrong.

Some of the other tenants gathered by the mailboxes, engaged in a tense conversation. I rounded the corner and stepped in a puddle. Looking up, I saw the water pouring down the stairs. "What the hell?"

"Pipes burst, love," one tenant answered me. "At least it isn't sewage."

I ran up the stairs, the disgusting water soaking through my shoes, and unlocked my apartment. Susu and Jiji paced on the table as they waited for me, Jiji licking her paw dry while Susu warbled for me to explain why the floor was wet. I calmed them the best I could while I anxiously took in the damage. The floor of the kitchen and living space were covered. In the bedroom, the water puddled on the uneven wood floors. Luckily, the pool shallowed before the closet. My suitcases sat on wet wheels but remained dry, and the cats' carrier sat safely on the shelf above.