14 } Run

"If you die, and I live, there's no life for me at all back in District 12." - Peeta Mellark

" - Peeta Mellark

——

AURORA'S SLEEP WAS ABRUPTLY shattered by the harsh command of the peacekeepers. "Wake up! On your feet!" The noise jolted her awake, her eyes snapping open to the reality around her. She had been resting her head on Jessup's shoulder, who remained almost motionless as she stirred. Wovey, nestled in Aurora's arms, groaned at the noise, nuzzling herself closer.

"Wovey. Jessup. We need to wake up," Aurora urged gently, her voice full of worry and urgency. Wovey stirred, her eyes slowly opening. For a brief moment, she looked peaceful, then her face changed as she remembered what today was; a look of terror quickly took over.

She let out a small whimper, tears filling up her eyes quickly. "Hey, hey, it's okay," Aurora soothed. She pulled a flower from her hair and handed it to Wovey, hoping it would distract her. Wovey's face softened for a moment as she shakily reached for the small flower.

Turning her attention to Jessup, Aurora shook him more vigorously. "Jessup, you need to get up," she insisted. He slowly came to consciousness, his gaze clouded with confusion as he looked at her. Aurora helped him to his feet, supporting him as he gathered his bearings.

"We gotta go to the mines," Jessup mumbled, still in a half-daze.

"What?" Aurora asked, her confusion evident, but she had no time to seek clarification. A peacekeeper was already urging them forward using his baton to pushed them forward. "Move it!"

They were ushered into separate carts, with boys and girls split to avoid any altercations. As they arrived and were directed to walk into the arena, a haunting stillness enveloped her. The absence of Coriolanus was keenly felt, making the already daunting arena seem even more sinister. She moved through the turnstiles.

"Enjoy the show!"

As they were ushered forward, Wovey, walking beside Aurora, reached out and grasped her hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Aurora glanced down at her, meeting Wovey's smile. It was as if Wovey was trying to muster the courage for both of them. Aurora managed a small smile in return, drawing a sliver of comfort from the gesture.

But their moment of shared strength was short-lived. A peacekeeper abruptly separated them, and Aurora found herself walking alone, save for the peacekeeper prodding her forward. The sense of isolation crept in, chilling her more than the cold air.

"One of us is going to live, right Aurora?" Dill's whisper reached her, his voice tinged with a sense of defeat.

"Of course," Aurora replied without hesitation, though internally she harbored her own doubts and fears. They too were split up moments later by another peacekeeper, leaving Aurora to continue her solitary march until she reached a red dot marked on the ground.