Chapter Forty-Two: Idalia

As the water runs red, blood swirls down the drain, a stark reminder of the recent events. Upon entering the house, I was met with an eerie silence, devoid of any welcoming presence. The slow, steady breathing of my housemates was the only sound echoing through the space. Surprisingly, even Aren was unaware of my arrival, and my room remained empty, devoid of his presence.

 It seems like he's been staying up, waiting for me to drift off to sleep before slipping away to Avalyn's room. While I appreciate the chance to catch up with him, I can't shake off the discomfort of how close he's become with the Adair girl. It bothers me, not just because I know she isn't over the others, but because I don't want my brother to get hurt. I hate feeling powerless, unable to knock some sense into him. Getting involved with her when she's already entangled with two other men is a recipe for disaster. He's too kind-hearted to deserve being led on like this. It infuriates me that she would toy with his emotions, especially knowing he's my brother.

 But, for now, I have to bite my tongue and play nice. I've only just regained my brother's presence in my life, and I refuse to risk losing him again because he's too lovesick to see straight. It's frustrating to sit back and watch, especially knowing what might happen, but I'll be there for him when it all comes crashing down. That's what siblings do, after all.

 It's like some twisted trauma bond. She waltzed in after he endured who knows how many lifetimes of unspeakable horrors and whisked him away. I can almost see how his mind would twist it into her being his savior. My poor brother's not right in the head. But Avalyn, she's got her wits about her, and she's a damn fool for not putting a stop to it before it even began.

 It's utter madness, the whole situation. But what's the alternative? Killing her would only shatter my brother further. He's too fragile to bear that kind of burden, and the fallout with the others would be too risky. As much as I'd love to wipe them all out, I can't deny that I've developed a strange sort of attachment to them, even Avalyn, despite my current disdain. It's a mess, but I guess that's life for you.

 As the faucet shuts off, my skin tingles from the raw friction. I inhale deeply, attempting to soothe my frayed nerves. Not a moment of sleep has touched me; the day was spent scouring for the facility Avalyn and Aren were once trapped in, and the night was dedicated to plotting a way into the secretive smaller auctions where Jeannette might be present.

 And I did— find a way in. Of course, I did. I always get what I want.

 I find myself grappling with the motives behind my actions, desperately wanting to deny any inkling of genuine care for these individuals. Despite my growing concern, I struggle to admit that it might stem from a newfound sense of attachment. After all, I don't particularly like them all that much. It must be for my brother's sake, I tell myself, convincing myself that my actions are solely driven by a desire to protect him— to make him happy.

 I dab at my hands with the towellette, finally rid of the blood stains left by Mr. and Mrs. Renelly— the unfortunate newlyweds. Despite the lack of substantial findings at the facility, with everything likely relocated and Jeannette nowhere to be found, there was just enough evidence left behind to spark a brilliant idea in my mind.

 Amidst the wreckage of the abandoned facility, I stumbled upon a lone name that caught my attention: Laren Wellington. The discovery piqued my interest, especially considering our shared last name. After a bit of sleuthing, I pieced together that he's a distant cousin, albeit by marriage. But what truly intrigued me was his role as a sponsor within the organization.

 Despite lacking the familial influence of my blood relatives, Laren wields significant power through his financial contributions. He pours substantial funds into the organization, bankrolling their research, experiments, and various endeavors— all in exchange for prime advertising space for his liquor company. It's a savvy business move, as every event they host serves as a showcase for his brand, ensuring the guests are generously supplied and thoroughly inebriated. And the returns? They're staggering, with his company raking in millions as a result.