CHAPTER THREE (draft)

CHAPTER THREE

There is a strange pause as everyone looks at me.

"You what?" Captain Larei says with the beginning of a frown, and widens her eyes, as though coming awake. "What did you say?"

"I choose to be a Citizen of Atlantis," I say clearly, standing as still and straight as possible.

The captain parts her lips, about to speak. In that moment the officer to her right leans in closer and speaks something in Atlantean, pointing to his scanning gadget.

The captain turns to him, glances over at the device, shakes her head in seeming puzzlement.

Moments tick.

Finally Captain Larei returns her attention to me, and her expression reverts to a semblance of composure.

"So," she says in a bland voice, but her eyes follow me with an intense scrutiny. "It looks like your ID has been specially flagged in the system—which is convenient, because now I don't have to deal with your case. Apparently you are being transferred to Imperial Command Ship Two. According to these orders, and regardless of your choice, you have been assigned to Yellow Quadrant, Navigation and Guidance, Command Deck Four. Your commanding officer is Command Pilot Aeson Kassiopei himself, and you report to him directly."

It is now my turn to be stunned. My lips part, and I stare at her.

But Captain Larei nods at me curtly, and the Atlantean officer to her left passes his device over my ID token. "Noted and recorded. Proceed to Shuttle Bay Three to complete your permanent transfer."

I press my lips tight and swallow. And then I step off the dais to allow Logan his turn.

* * *

The next few minutes are a mess. Gracie and Gordie and I stand huddled outside in the corridor, looking at each other. It's as if we all gave each other blows to the head and are recovering from the multiple weird, self-inflicted concussions.

Gracie is still defiant from making her gutsy choice of Cadet, but some of her bravado has been diminished by the fact that I am now going to be separated from the two of them. Gordie appears upset again. His frown is back, and his hands are stuck in the pockets of his uniform, which for Gordie is a sign of stress and depression.

"Listen to me," I say. "It's going to be okay! Gracie, I can't believe what you did there, choosing Cadet, of all things—"

"You can't believe?" Gracie flares at me. "What about what you just did, Gee Two? What the hell did you choose? Citizen? What is that? And because of that now they transferred you to some other ship—"

"No, they said my transfer was going to happen anyway, regardless of my choice—"

"And not just any ship," Gordie cuts in. "She's on Imperial Command Ship Two! That's supposed to be Phoebos's ship! You know, your Command Pilot Kass guy—"

"Not my 'Kass' guy," I interrupt with rising anger. "And he's not Kass, but Kassiopei!"

"Whatever!" Gordie shrugs. "What difference does it make?"

Gracie stares at me, as suddenly it sinks in. "Wait! Kassiopei? He's—Isn't that supposed to be their Royal or Imperial or whatever Family?"

"Exactly!" I say, turning to her.

"So he's, what—" Gracie's face pales.

"He's an effing prince of Atlantis!" I exclaim. At my raised voice other people in the corridor turn to stare at us.