The Game

Chapter 5: The Game

A small pain in Emily's neck started to form as she strained to look at the tall creature hovering just above her.

A huge lioness, the size of an elephant, loomed above them threateningly. Loose dirt sprung up into the air as she landed softly and allowed her large elegant wings to tucked in behind her. As she did so, her long talons left imprints into the soft dirt underneath them and they gleamed dangerously in the faint light.

Her face was slightly humanoid under her golden fur and brown human-like hair fell messily down her shoulders. Her hazel eyes sparkled with cleverness and amusement.

She was dangerously beautiful.

As Emily's eyes met the guardian's, she remembered that the creature standing before her was usually called a sphinx.

"How will you decide?" The Doctor asked bravely. " if we're worthy."

The guardian's gaze fell upon the Doctor, " You have proven to be of good intent, otherwise you wouldn't be here." Her voice was like silk and Emily felt herself become enthralled by the sound of it.

"To pass me, however, you must pass my three tests." The guardian finished, but then cocked her head to the side thoughtfully. " I wonder if you will have the will and strength to pass the tests to find what you seek."

"What will the tests be?"

Emily had never liked tests, and this was no exception.

The sphinx smiled, but it was far from friendly, it was almost hungry. Either way it made Emily uncomfortable.

" No spoilers." The Guardian replied coyly.

She slowly began to circle the two, the tips of her tawny wings dragging behind her.

" I will put you in a trance, as easy as falling asleep, and the test will take place in your mind. Your mind will place you where you're most distracted and challenged, but also where you will most be helped." She explained slowly. " If you both pass my tests, you are free to retrieve what you seek. But if you fail-"

The Guardian trailed off and her eyes turn dark as she licks her lips. "Well, let's just say I'm very hungry."

Emily felt her throat tighten at her words.

She did not what to be this creature's catnip.

"Sounds fair enough!" The Doctor said with a brave smile and stepped forward, causing Emily's tight grip on his arm to be released." I'll go first then."

"Do you both agree to the terms? Once I begun there's no turning back." Her hazel eyes analyzed them as they nodded back in response.

"Very well."

The Guardian began to mumble something under her breath, something ancient and foreign to Emily's ears. Slowly and steadily she raised her voice and the strange words filled the air. A golden aura surrounded the Doctor and he wavered in his stance as his eyelids grew heavy.

It wasn't long until he was asleep and fell to the ground. Emily flinched when he hit the ground with a 'thump', but he didn't seem to mind at all. He remained motionless in that position for several minutes, the only thing changing was the furrowing and the unfurrowing of his brows.

Later one the Guardian began to purr, a sound that put Emily's nerves on edge. The creature was watching the sleeping Doctor hungrily, her hind got into a stance that Emily recognized was used before pouncing.