Let Go

Chapter 9: Let Go

Emily quickly sprang back from the door and looked at the Doctor in panic.

"They're surrounding the Tardis." He whispered as he kept looking through the small crack.

"What do we do?" She whispered.

"I suppose we could test Helga's theory." He said bringing his attention back to Emily as he pointed toward the instrument in her hands.

She bit her lip. "What if it doesn't work?"

"I don't think we can afford to think like that when you're supposed to be thinking of happy thoughts."

"Right." She said closing her eyes and calming her nerves. "Happy thoughts."

She thought back to her family, her friends, and all the memories that she shared with them. In that moment she realized how blessed she really was and her heart swelled with so much love and happiness that she did not doubt herself as she lifted the flute to her lips and dragged out a long note before beginning to play.

The Doctor opened the door wide and all the Dementors turned to see what had made the noise. Emily could feel them try to take her joy but she just focused on her playing and felt the music come from within her and pour out through the instrument. She opened her eyes to see a silver light shoot out from the instrument and form a glowing swan.

The Patronus darted toward the Dementors with great speed and ferocity and the room erupted into chaos as the Dementors darted about the room haphazardly. The Patronus made a clear pathway for its owner to reach the Tardis and Emily stopped playing as she and the Doctor ran toward their only escape.

Emily reached the Tardis first and flung the door open, she turned around to close the door after the Doctor but a Dementor had somehow caught him before he passed the threshold and ruthlessly tried to rip his soul away from him.

Emily screamed out and her Patronus dove toward the Dementor, allowing her to pull on the Doctor's arm and tug him inside before slamming the door shut.

"We have to go!" She yelled.

The doctor was panting and his face was very pale, but he understood and he managed the controls and only slumped to the floor when the sound of the brakes filled the Tardis and the air of dread washed away.

Emily sat down beside the Doctor and sighed while they let the silence and the heavy weight of their thoughts encompass them.

Noticing that the paleness in the Doctor's face had never left, she reached into her coat pocket and took out the small bar of chocolate that Lupin had given her before they left Grimmuauld Place.

Before they had lined up in front of the door he had given her the bar and smiled down at her kindly saying, "You'll need this for the road."

He did not need to explain and Emily appreciated the gesture and gave him a tight hug before pocketing the sweet.

She smiled at the memory.

"Here." She said chipping off a piece and offering it to the Doctor. "It will help."

"What is it?" He asked warily.

She giggled, "It's chocolate."

"I love chocolate!" He exclaimed before he popped it into his mouth, but then shortly spat it out saying, "Agh no, never mind I hate it. Why would you give me such a ghastly thing?"

Emily only laughed and shook her head.

"What do we do now?" She asked when her laughter died down.

The Doctor shrugged, "I guess we wait for your buddy to find you."

"That sounds creepy whichever way you put it." She said with a shudder.

"Then lets talk about something more cheery, eh?" The Doctor raised an eyebrow and Emily nodded emphatically.

"What is this world like usually?" He asked, "I mean besides when you're being chased by darkness and its soul-sucking cousins."

Emily was much happier telling the Doctor about the Wizarding World rather than focusing on what she would have to face. She told him about the wonders of Hogwarts and the adventures of Harry Potter. She explained who the Death Eaters and Lord Voldemort were and how the war ended.

"I wish I could have told The Order." She said sadly.

"That might have changed everything." The Doctor said. "Its not best to mess with fate."

"But would it really be for the worst? Saving all those innocent lives?" She asked but the Doctor was silent.

After a few moments of thoughtful silence he opened his mouth to speak but the familiar haunting sound of the Lethifold caused him to falter.

Emily's heart rapidly began to beat faster and her palms felt clammy holding onto the instrument so tightly. The Doctor sensed her distress and he quickly knelt in front of her and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"You can do this." He said softly. "We already know it works, now the only thing left is for you to let go and believe."

Emily nodded and rose from the ground, with determination she walked toward the door and the Doctor waited for her cue to open it for her.

She closed her eyes and filled herself with happy memories before she nodded and the door flung open. She brought the flute to her lips as her eyes met the form of the Lethifold slowly approaching them on the empty street.

Its clouds of darkness blended in with the black asphalt that reached her feet as it tried to encompass her in despair. Her Patronus struggled to form as its misery weighed heavily on her soul and she felt like giving up.

Bu she couldn't give up, she wanted to see her family again and she wanted the Doctor to be safe. She narrowed her eyes and took a deep breath before changing the tone of her song.

She was playing this for them.

The Lethifold faltered in his step as the song rose into the air, as if noticing this change within her. The Lethifold realized that he could soon be destroyed and it used it's amazing speed to appeared just an arms length from Emily.

Emily could feel the magic of the stone working and she glared at the creature as a faint glow came from within her.

The creature reached forward a bony finger to where her heart would have been but suddenly she flashed bright white from her heart and the Patronus sprang forth and dove itself within the creature.

The Lethifold Screeched and wailed as the Patronus drove out the darkness within the creature and slowly killed it from inside. With a last ear-splitting scream, he erupted into a flash of light and the creature was no more.

Emily felt her legs give out from sudden exhaustion and the Doctor quickly caught her in his arms

"Let's take you home." The Doctor whispered kindly.

Emily had only enough strength to hum in agreement.