Revenge of an Angel (Prologue)

A lone person sat down on the cold, hard ground and stared into the abyss of a slightly cracked and dirty mirror. The sky was a dark, dingy grey and the person was sitting almost next to a dark lake. The mirror looked like it hadn’t been cleaned or wiped for several decades, and that was probably the truth. It wasn’t an ordinary mirror, though.

  The person wasn’t ordinary, either. He had hair that was as dark as night, and his eyes were gleaming like deep rubies, never leaving the mirror. He had a pair of tainted, white wings tucked in behind him, and he was wearing a frayed, white shirt. His eyes were glinting in a sort of panic, even though his expression was calm and no ripple of emotion escaped his eyes. His wings were oddly beautiful, even though tufts of feathers here and there were oddly bent and dirty. He held up a long, bony finger and stroked the mirror.

  The mirror came to life – the frame glowed a brilliant gold and the glass instantly cleared. The person – or rather, the angel waited for a few seconds. His fingers were tingling with fright and excitement. The surface started to show a girl… she had beautiful almond-shaped eyes and willowy brown hair. The angel sighed softly, a barely audible one. He stroked two bony fingers on the surface of the mirror and sighed again, this time sounding sad.

  He stroked the girl’s eyes in the mirror and murmured softly, ‘Beautiful.’ He didn’t notice a shadow hovering nearby, observing his every action. He was too taken in with the mirror. ‘Today is the day… the fated day.’ the angel said softly. A bush rustled nearby, but the angel didn’t notice. The girl was walking across a road now, and the angel immediately stiffened.

  ‘No.’ was all he said, and his fingers clenched themselves into fists. He unclenched his fingers and reached into the mirror – the surface seemed to melt at his touch, and his fingers sunk inside. The angel sighed again, one last time. Now, his whole hand was disappeared into the mirror. The frame suddenly glowed orange, as if signalling some sort of warning. ‘I’ll help.’ the angel gasped, suddenly shivering. His eyes were cloudy and oddly blank. He twisted his arm and pulled it out of the mirror, heaving and choking.

  The shadow quivered, as if the person wanted to run over and help this angel. But the angel knew that it was too late – his feet felt oddly light and he couldn’t move them. He gasped as his whole body disintegrated in front of his very eyes, his white fingers turning into white sand.

  ‘No…’ he whispered into the air, and his dark hair became colourless. A gust of wind came and scattered his ashes into a thousand places, never to be found again.

  The shadow emerged and gave out a sorrowful cry.

  ‘Zachary!’ he called, and dropped to the ground where the angel had kneeled down on just a few moments ago. ‘Was it worth it? Why did you…’ the person’s voice quivered and he sank onto the ground completely. He caught a glimpse of a girl with green eyes in the mirror for the briefest second before it faded away, and the mirror turned back to its original state. The girl’s eyes were shocked and wide, and her lips were trembling. The person squeezed his eyes tight, as if to engrave the girl’s features into his mind. Blue coloured tears started to spill from his eyes and he sobbed. ‘Zachary…’ he kept repeating the angel’s name, as if hoping that it might bring him back. The angel named Zachary never rose again. He was lost in a thousand little bits, and it was all in all his own fault.

  The person grappled on the hard ground, looking for the little pieces of the angel that had fallen. Two days had passed and he had finally collected a pinch of the angel’s remnants. He spoke to the angel’s remnants in an angry and determined voice.

  ‘I will carry out your revenge, Zachary. I swear I will find the girl that bewitched your heart and soul and turned you into dust. I will search till the end of the world for her.’ the person whispered desperately, blue-coloured tears spilling out again and staining the floor. ‘Please wait, my friend. Please be patient. I will find her.’ he vowed, and the wind carried his words away.